Green zone question

AZZA

Hi Guys next week I am heading off to the Whitsundays on a bare boat charter, that will involve lots of lolling about doing nothing in particular and buckets of fishing.

This morning while contemplating this trip I pondered this scenario, if I have caught a couple of good fish can I then enter a green zone and consume said fish or even keep said fish on-board? This led me to wonder to of the implications of moving around our southern waterways and traversing through green zones with fish in the esky. Your thoughts please.

Cheers

Azza

as ellicat replied... closest I could find for your question

/>http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks_and_forests/marine_parks/moreton_bay_marine_park_zoning_plan_review/information_sheets/frequently_asked_questions.html

Can I travel through a marine national park (green) zone with fishing gear and fish?

Yes, as long as your gear is stowed or secured and the fish were not caught in a marine national park (green) zone. "Stowed or secured" means that any hand lines or hand-held rods are inboard the boat or stored in rod holders. You do not need to remove hooks from lines when travelling through marine national park (green) zones; however they should be secured to the hand line or rod.

Been looking on different sites and cant find anything to clear it up, I reckon a photograph taken out of the green zone of the catch may help. I'd love to see someone prove that they were caught in a green zone without proof, the legislation would have to state proof isnt required then how could a person get a catch back to an area if they have to pass through a green zone...dosent seem feasible.

found this

Travelling through a Marine National Park (Green) Zone with fish onboard is allowed, provided the fish were caught outside the Green Zone. Anyone (with the exception of unattached dories*) can enter a Marine National Park (Green) Zone and participate in activities such as swimming, snorkelling and sailing. Fishing gear such as rods with attached hooks, must be stowed inboard the boat or in rod holders. All fishing apparatus must be out of the water. DOSENT STATE EATING.

Cant find anything to cover it heres the address Aaron they should be able to answer it :lol::lol: Who can I address any other questions to?

If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions about zoning, please contact the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority on free call 1800 990 177 or email info@gbrmpa.gov.au.

If you have any queries about State waters

Department of Environment and Resource Management

How about this one, you hook onto a tuna just outside the green zones, it peels line off and you need to chase it and the fish ends up inside the green zone, still count as fishing in a green zone? Does it become protected once crossing over that imaginary line?

be the same as anchoring 5 metres outside the green zone and casting into the green zone to fish. no fishing is no fishing, and if you entered the green zone attached to the fish your gone for not having your fishing gear stowed away as required by the regulations and for fishing in a green zone

I lived in the whitsundays for a couple of years and can tell you they take their green zones very seriously. They use planes to spot activity inside or close to the Imaginary line. you might think it is hard to prove where the fish are caught but the thing is they have to prove nothing it is the same as going to court and saying you had your seat belt on and a police officer saying you didn't who will the judge believe.

I had the misfortune of being on a boat that by GPS coordinates was 500m outside a greenzone we saw the plane swoop us and thought nothig of it, not knowing they were getting the numbers off the boat. The order to appear in court came to the owner of the boat in the mail. Short of taking photo's of your GPS with date and time on them every time you fish close to the border of a green zone you have no way of proving your inocence. I just stay right away from them now cause it cost us $750 each I went him halves in the fine cause we both checked our position and I knew he was getting ripped off :evil:

Thanks Ricko but the charts on the boat should have them you would think. They are marked up in the 100 magic miles book. Some good spots or tips would be most welcome. We are going to circle Hook island and then down to Whitehaven and back to Airlie. Packed the Patrol today and have proberly got to much fishing gear packed but then again is that possible. I have some 30lb gear for the bottom and some overheads for trolling and even a 80lb rig just incase.

No worries. 30lb will be min for bottom bashing you need to turn everything quick once they get back to cover your toast. the 80lb rig will be your trolling set up the mackeral and GTs will be about now.

Hook island is good real good mackeral bay on the open (eastern) side isn't called Maceral bay for its coral trout, Hook passage on a run out tide can produce anything on the troll the current rips through there and all the bait gets funnelled into a small area, Hanna point on North Mole saw some record mackeral weighed in at the fishing club when I was there. Keep somthing out the back wherever you are travelling. Call into the bait and tackle store at the BP servo Bobs bait and tackle the guys there will be only too happy to give you the run down on what is happening where and they wont feed you crap ( well not too much anyway ) If Bob is there ask him how the fishing has been in PNG but make sure you have plenty of time cause he will tell you he loves the place.

I am actually a bit jelous i miss it up there. Good luck I hope you get good weather and your arms get pulled off.

Oh yeah 100 majic miles will be your best friend everythin is in it reference it all the time some good tips in it.

Archived