damiki 2" grub & 5" armour shad - sizes?

poohbear

Hey mate it depends on what your fishing for and where?

The 2inch I wouldn't go and bigger then a 1/6 jig head but even down to 1/40th for bream.The bigger 5inch any thing up to 3/4 jig down to 1/4 but you will look at the hook size to match.

good luck dassa

hey dassa

more landbased, river/estury, jetty fishing,

i'm mostly after the hook sizes, how far should the hook come out ? in around the middle of the plastic?

I can't remember size numbers... I just know by look but I think 1/0 (or whatever it is in "1" size) in the small jighead weight sizes for the 2".

Re the 5" 2/0 or the next size up will cover most bases. You sorta don't wanna have the hook come out further than halfway through the plastic. Hard to avoid for 2" though. You'll find the action of the plastic dimishes as the hook goes further down the spine.

With plastics you want to slowly but surely build up a massive option of weights and hooks sizes IMO.

I have been asked heaps of times "what weight should I get". Without a crystal ball though this is a tough one.

I use different weights everytime I fish and change weights during a session due to tides, wind, depth and so on.

Variety and then trial and error (based on slowly accumulated experience) is the name of the game :)

Angus

on the m grubs i usually use the hidden weight jigheads and the hook size on the packet is 2h.

for the 5 inch armor shads i use 5/0 hooks (1/4oz and above)i prefer the larger hooks with them. 3 inch armor shads, i forget the size off hand, i just know what looks right, i think its a 2/0 (1/8 or 1/12 when chasing squire and lighter for bream)

hope that helps

Thanks guys, yeah i do get that the weights is dependent on the wind, current etc.

and yeah i do have a few jigheads now and they aren't cheap :(

but in terms of hook sizes,

say a 2" size 3-4 hook

3" size 1-2 hook

5" size 1/0 - 2/0 hook

does that sound about the right sizes ?

depends what you are fishing for keep the hooks small for bream

larger for flathead, snapps, trevs etc

good post poohbear,

very helpful info for me to

cheers, James

no worries mate , have to thank the other helpful members that are here :)

btw, i had a quick flick today and used a 1/12 with size 2 hook. Few bites and did manage to hook up a fish. although wasn't sure what it was... but all along i must have been using hooks too big...

Archived