fishing the golf course

roobs

my retired parents live in a housing estate near where the saltwater canals meet the fresh water locks near cararra markets. there are giant fish there- i've seen and fed them but never tried to catch them as i was fairly sure they were large freshwater mullet and therefore not the tastiest catch. to make a long story short after burleying up with a little bread and putting a hook under a float i was amazed to discover, after pulling the first one in after a moderate fight, a 32.5 cm bream! after i shook off my disbelief two more followed, one 30cm and one 25cm. considering the rapidly approaching darkness i gave it away for the night, but i'll be back! no pics sorry. fish were caught on a number 2 mustad baitkeeper hook, 4lb daiwa line and an estaury combo. a lot of fun for not much effort, though i'm sure that being impounded as they were ( the water was brackish but not tidal) they were a little lazier than most their size. kept the two big ones and let the little one go. they were cooked in lime, ginger and lemongrass in foil over a barbie.

Nice one!! I have targeted trained bread fed fish like this before a great rig i was taught is you get a float and tie a small luderic hook about 40cm below it and attach a small piece of white cloth to the hook to resemble a lil bit of sinking bread, and wrap a piece of bread around the float and attach it with a few fat rubber bands. It works a treat and you dont hafto stuff around with rebaiting all the time.

Archived