Fitness Help

efc

Hi guys, im just starting out at spearing with a hand spear and snorkle. My lung capacity is pretty average to say the least and im after ways of improving.

Im not really into running so any other tips?

Would just swimming and spearing get my fitness level up quickly?

Swimming is a great low impact exercise. If you can keep your heart rate up for 40 minutes to an hour it will really help your all round fitness. The first couple of weeks are usually painful but after that you can get adicted to it and really enjoy it.

Watch your diet and lifestyle as well. It is amazing how much of a difference food will effect your life. Not saying only eat salad but just be sensalble, not takeaway every night. Food energy intake has to be matched with your exercise routine or output.

Hope you have some luck with it.

BJ

Swimming is probably the best, as swimming efficiently is critical. That is to be able to stay underwater you need to be able to dive with the least effort possible so as not to raise your heartbeat. The higher your pulse the more oxygen you use.

Really hardcore spearos practise by playing underwater hockey. The biggest part of being able to hold your breath for ages is overcoming the panic reflex. Doing something like underwater hockey takes your mind off the urge to get another breath.

hey guys big thanks for the help so far.

I have heard about pool hockey, sounds bloody cool. However not too sure if many people in the Ipswich area are into it? Might give it a go by myslef against the pool wall like squash lmao

Im going to try swimming alot more, also pick up rocks under water and run/walk with them.

Thanks guys

• 4 weeks later...

It's a lot about stealth, practice swimming underwater (with flippers on) for as long as you can on a breath but keep your movements (leg strokes) slow as not to use up your oxygen quickly. Also practice diving down and sitting still on the bottom for as long as you can. Also keep calm take big slow breaths before diving. You'll find your times will increase. But getting out there and spearing is the best practice of all and having someone with you is always safer then being alone.

• 1 year later...

When you first start out it can be a little nerve racking and you will find that your heart rate is up and you will need a lot more oxygen.

Your will find that you will last longer as you get more experience. The more confident you are, the more calm and relaxed you will be and the longer you will be able to stay down. The experience will also improve you fitness like others have said.

Also, are you using a weight belt? I've noticed that many newbies start off without them. You will find it much easier with one on so that you aren't fighting your bodies buoyancy.

Archived