"MY LURE CHRISTENING"

hokianga

Gidday all,

Yesterday was the first time in my life I have gone fishing without any form of bait.... It was a little disconcerting but I thought the only way to make it really work is to take the bull by the horns and take out nothing except the SP's and HB's... I went firstly down to Monaco street to see if I could pop my cherry with the red devils... Threw the HB's around for around half an hour to catch my first ever fish on HB's... a little flatty of about 20cm (I was chuffed )....(Back you go little fella)

The first of my firsts for the session.......carried on for another hour, got to about 6.30pm, forgot the insect repellent, started getting midgied and mozzied.....(Not much fun when your in shorts and a singlet )

Didn't stick around long after that, me midgies and mozzies don't mix well at all....

Man how can a little speck of an insect like a midgy..... be such a little f#*ken terror, bite yah and then use you as a toilet....

Anyway went home cursing and scratching... Got back, put on some decent clothing...yeah right, bit late, repellafied myself and then headed down to the Council Chambers to carry on with my Lure Christening.....

Was under the bridge for a while, wasn't having much luck so decided to head over to the Rowers Club.... Flicking around for around 15 mins, thought I was snagged.... so pulled a little harder, didn't want to loose my jig head, and then the tip started to nod.....chur neat alright!!! playing it nice and softly as I'm not really used to winding in with dental floss.... just as it was coming into the light the dental floss snapped..... , Oh well, try again....

As I was re-rigging, all hell broke loose out on the water, about three or four bust ups all happened at the same time, and as you do when excited, my knots were slipping, tied the jig onto a piece of broken line not even connected to the rod.....bah humbug .... Finally get it all sorted, go for a cast, forget to flick the bail arm over, damn jig flies back and scones me in the nose.... Now I'm p*ssed off and crying... great stuff!!!

Ok count to 10 try again, as soon as the SP hit the water, straight away tension... I'm thinking wow that's strange, and then that beautiful sound zzzzzzzzzz, zzzzzzzzzzzz, wind in to get some back and zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... End result a nice little Big Eye on soft plastic.....(Yay another first )

Got that in, there didn't seem to be any easing with the bust-ups, but they weren't hitting my lures anymore...

I did however catch something of an alien that I hope someone can ID for me... Will post the pictures tomorrow as I didn't bring a USB for my phone... Someone at work here said it was poisonous.... They've never fished in their lives

Thanks for reading, oh also heading down to the Main Beach tonight, hope to post something tomorrow, on something I have more of an idea about....." Beach Fishing"..... but hey, I'm getting there....

Cheers Vic

post-9426-144598709745_thumb.jpg

post-9426-144598709759_thumb.jpg

post-9426-144598709765_thumb.jpg

Whoops sorry Kurt replied before I read your post... Damn.... good eating aye.... It looked like it had a nice bit of meat on it when I flipped it over.... I learnt the hard way through flatties not to grab anything until you know what it is and how it rolls.. Oh well nek minnit!!!

Hello mate,

went down last night, missed the tide got there and it was on the run-out... My mate got a Shovel nose... Most of the time you get those on the end there ain't much else around... Bring on the Wanderers Weekend at Wave Break!!! God every time I mention that subject I start getting butterflies.....yyyeeeeehhhhaaaaa!!!!!

nice one vic!! might have you catch you on the beach with the bait on the end next time :lol::lol:

Moses, I have to say it mate, every time I read one of your posts or text messages on my phone.... I'm always left a little confused... But I know if I read it over a couple of times I will get the meaning... :lol::lol::lol:

Did you post anything on your latest trip down to Tweed.. haven't seen it, or am I looking in the wrong place...

Hey mate,

A couple of nice firsts there... Like everyone else at first blush i thought stargazer...

Well done, that is the only way to go when getting started, don't take bait!!!!

Freshy

Hi Freshy,

Thanks for that, I have been wanting to convert for a while but as you know its hard to try something you know nothing about.... Being in a club that moves with the times definitely helps with the transition... I'll tell you what the tackle box and chilly bin.... whoops...esky are a hell of a lot lighter, when your not carrying around a kilo of this and a kilo of that... Not all the way yet by no stretch of the imagination, but there is a time and a place... Ok you're right this is the time and this is the place. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Awesome report mate enjoyed the read. Looks like you did really well for your first ever 'no bait' session and that's the first stargazer i've ever seen caught on an artificial.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the kind words... Yes.... and another first, for someone else this time and on my session to...

I will admit though, I'm pretty sure it was because the jig had gotten snagged right in front of its face... Nothing much else for it to do except...well...eat it I suppose :unsure::unsure:

Damn it, I knew it,.... wait, would that be the stargazer???? "I'm am a naive bugger".... Any advice/warnings from a AFO Expert(like yourself)...or the likes is gospel to me...(lol)

AFO expert hey, I like the sounds of that. Ones around the same place as the flatty (behind the gil) and the other is above the fin on the fish's side. (Fin names are far beyond my expert knowledge.) :P

If you catch one at wavebreak i'll point them out :lol:

Hey Young_fella,

If you hadn't have answered my question...which I thank you for.. I would probably have found every one of them.... After letting one go and hearing how good they are to eat, I would have been in there no hesitation... Great, can't wait to meet you and the rest of the AFO clan members tomorrow.....

Wait here it comes....YYYYYYEEEEEEHHHHHHAAAAAA!!!!

haha sorry vic, will try & clear up my wording next time i post..have been busy thhe last few days, but will post up a report tonight.

nice one vic!! might have you catch you on the beach with the bait on the end next time :lol::lol:

Moses, I have to say it mate, every time I read one of your posts or text messages on my phone.... I'm always left a little confused... But I know if I read it over a couple of times I will get the meaning... :lol::lol::lol:

Did you post anything on your latest trip down to Tweed.. haven't seen it, or am I looking in the wrong place...

Archived