Weber for fish smoking?

tiotony

I've bought a Weber smokey joe off the web and I'll have it at home when I get there in 10 days, to try my hand at smoking fish. Have sussed out on here and also on google different methods to smoke and its all contradictory. So here's the first method I'm gonna try if anybody has any input if its gonna work?

1. Catch a couple of 40-50cm GT's or scad or something oily fleshed, and fillet

2. Soak fillets in really salty water for an hour

3. wash fillets off and let dry on a rack for an hour

4. Setup the weber with an aluminium tray in the middle to catch juices, and weber pellet fuel thingies either side

5. Let the fuel pellets burn down for half an hour, and soak hickory woodchips in some water for half an hour

6. put the soaked woodchips on top of the fuel and put the fillets on the rack over the top of the tray, not over the hot bits on the side. Put the lid on and open top and bottom vents

7. replenish wood chips after 20 minutes

8. take fillets out after another 20 minutes and eat.

Any input appreciated, I'm pretty good in the kitchen but never tried smoking before

Cheers,

Tony

Make a riser out of some 3ft wide ally or tin plate and you can do full hams etc. Smoke a leg of pickled pork its unreal. Before I got my current smoker I used to use a weber with a 3 ft riser and it works well.

I am in the process of trying to locate a supplier of cure mix as Lesneys have been taken over and have a minimum order of $300.Any non resinous sawdust works well just collect the wood yourself and either use a planer or saw to make your own mix.I have used ironbark,scribbly gum,wattle,apple,pecan.If you have a local hardwood mill they are usually happy to give you a bag or so.

Cheers

Ray

Make a riser out of some 3ft wide ally or tin plate and you can do full hams etc. Smoke a leg of pickled pork its unreal. Before I got my current smoker I used to use a weber with a 3 ft riser and it works well.

I am in the process of trying to locate a supplier of cure mix as Lesneys have been taken over and have a minimum order of $300.Any non resinous sawdust works well just collect the wood yourself and either use a planer or saw to make your own mix.I have used ironbark,scribbly gum,wattle,apple,pecan.If you have a local hardwood mill they are usually happy to give you a bag or so.

Cheers

Ray

Ray , find a butcher that uses lesnie's and ask if they could order it for you with their order and fix them up

Archived