WAR What is it good for! 2-4 Dec 2011

kreel

WAR What is it good for! 2-4 Dec 2011

First weekend in December must mean one thing the 1st annual International Maroon Dam Fishing Grudge Match between two salty old (and young) fishos - Blood-and-Guts-Tacklebox and Twinkle-toes-Kreel.

As is always the case there are very strict rules to be adhered to and I'll have them written by the end of this report. The combatants aren't afraid to toss around a few salty remarks so the air was thick around Maroon Dam this weekend. Conditions for the event were very good, water temperatures were around 22degrees celcius at the start of the comp, the wind was light and the animosity between these 2 competitors was palpable. WIth a quick kiss good-luck tBox was straight down to the waters edge to catch a time advantage.

post-2889-144598723022_thumb.jpg

You could throw a blanket over the competitors all weekend as they fished very closely, often side-by-side. Major points were on offer for first fish caught and first Bass in the boat. Our photographer was on hand to catch the gleeful tBox hold the first Bass and first points aloft, it was no bruiser (at just over 30 cm) but it was a first, Kreel was sulking somewhere off camera no points to his name.

post-2889-144598723031_thumb.jpg

post-2889-144598723039_thumb.jpg

Day one was an all lure day, it pushed our competitors to the limits, both digging deep into their tackleboxes and creels to find that competition winning lure. tBox's first Bass garnered her even more points when it was discovered that she had used the mystery lure points of the day using a TN60. Through the day the competitors used, TN60s, Plastics, Predatek deep divers, Spinnerbaits, Blades anything and everything they could get their hands on to no avail.

It was late in the day and nothing more had been caught, they were desperate to put points on the score-board and it was looking like it was to be a one fish day - when Kreel cast a last minute spinnerbait in chartreuse into the deep, he counted its sink down and began a slow roll in, we were down to seconds and … a hit! Kreel was fighting as much as he dared with light line and was rewarded with a 31.5cm bass only fractions of a second after the competition had ended for the day. Better luck tomorrow amigo.

post-2889-144598723046_thumb.jpg

It was turning dire for mr Kreel as this reporter saw him eyeing off these 3 specimens - I do believe he was considering putting one on a hook and calling it a Bassken ellicatusi.

post-2889-144598723055_thumb.jpg

Day 2 was looking particularly dark for Mr Kreel now that the competition was open to include bait. Tacklebox made quick work of the opening rounds putting second day extra points on the board with the first Bass

post-2889-144598723062_thumb.jpg

First Spangled Perch (extra points) and 2 more bass to top it off.

post-2889-144598723069_thumb.jpg

Kreel finally joined the competition with a Bass of his own, no extra points there but at least it was a start.

post-2889-144598723121_thumb.jpg

The competition looked like it had fired up as Kreel got onto what looked like a monster of a fish, it was taking line and not giving an inch, but Kreel was persistent, the fish took him to the depths and found itself a nice log to lie under, unperturbed Kreel battled on, giving the fish some line to play with hoping it would come out form its hide-e-hole, back and forth the battle went for a good 10 minutes before Kreel prevailed hauling the monster from the depths - a 45cm Eel-Tailed Catfish. You could see the excitement flush form Kreel's face as he realised they were non-scoring fish this weekend.

post-2889-144598723076_thumb.jpg

Its a photo and release comp so we also couldn't count this Bass at a reported 2 metres (balderdash - because I can't say bullshit) (caught on 1lb Frog PE with 1lb leader) due to the duffed photo.

post-2889-144598723081_thumb.jpg

The unverified Bass was quickly followed by a series of fish all caught by Kreel during the meal break so inadmissible for the competition. 2 Spangled Perch and 6 Bass.

post-2889-144598723088_thumb.jpg

post-2889-144598723093_thumb.jpg

It was becoming a one sided affair with Tacklebox pulling away on the scoreboard, Kreel had to do something and with the fishing Gods taking pity on the old bloke he managed 2 more fish a Yella at just over 37 cm and a Bass at a whisker over 35cm

post-2889-144598723101_thumb.jpg

post-2889-144598723109_thumb.jpg

Points were still on offer - the final big points were for the last fish of the comp. Both competitors were keen for this one - putting a book-end on the proceedings with first and last fish of the comp Tacklebox pulls in a lovely Bass to draw the comp to a close.

post-2889-144598723114_thumb.jpg

The final tally:

Kreel:

Day 1 - 1 Bass (DNQ - caught after finish of comp)

Day 2 - 8 Bass ( 6 DNQ - caught during lunch-break), 2 Spangled Perch (DNQ - caught during the lunch-break) 1 Eel-Tailed Catfish (non-counting species), 1 Yella

FINAL SCORE - 3

Tacklebox

Day 1 - 1 Bass + 3 bonus points (First fish of the day, first Bass, mystery lure point)

Day 2 - 4 Bass + 2 bonus points (First and last fish of the day); 1 Spangled Perch + 1 bonus point (first Spangly of the comp)

FINAL SCORE - 12

Tacklebox WINNER of the 1st annual International Maroon Dam Fishing Grudge Match

On a side note we had a lovely weekend away at Camp Lake Fire, we caught up with Mick on the Saturday night as he was preparing for a charter the next day. The chickens are a nice addition to the place as well but I'm unsure if they'll last too long with goannas lurking around the place. There were a lot of people on the lake this weekend mostly skiers and a couple of jet ski-lice; there was even a guy who serenaded every one with his night-club music playing at 11 both in camp and on his ski-boat.

It was a nice weekend and I hope some of you folk can join us the next time we have the urge to get away.

While I remember: tBox's first fish on a TN and my first fish on a Spinnerbait, also my first Eel-tailed Catfish - we're both still grinning from our great weekend away.

Archived