Gear Ratio

1 turn of the handle = 4.5 turns of the spool etc :)

the higher the ratio the faster the reel will wind in line;)

Gaz

as a foot note try to keep your reel fully spooled as this also increases line retreval and casting distance ;)

Post edited by: Gazza, at: 2007/07/10 16:10

LOL... I thought we covered 'gear ratio' in another post, where we saw that some peoples gear to person ratio is outrageous!!

Nah seriously, as they have said it is 1 rotation of the handle equals so many turns of the bale arm or spindle drum depending on the reel. And yes, if fully spooled your work is much more efficient.

Some high speed bait casters or spin reels have a 7:1 gear ratio so they can wind in a metal lure quickly for Tuna and Mackerel very fast. Where as big game reals, like Shimano Tiagra's and the like, have slow (some times 1:1) gear ratios to wind in big powerful fish like Marlin and Sharks.

If you're prepared to part with a bit of extra you can get two speed overhead reels.

Otherwise you can compromise by getting a midway gear ratio. (3:1 - 4:1). Really depends on what you intend targeting with them.

If you're spinning for pelagics the higher ratio would be better for a faster retrieve etc etc

Pelagic is an open water fish correct?

not a particular species of fish?...why must you use such big words so early in the morning elli ;)

Im keeping my eye on these puppies right here to see how much they go for at sell time.

/>http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BLUEWATER-FISHING-DOWNUNDER-LD9000G-Big-Game-Reel-8BB_W0QQitemZ320135713398QQihZ011QQcategoryZ36162QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lower ratio reels for bigger fish hmmmm:pinch:

What happened to pump and wind to keep your line tight and let your rod do the work :whistle: slack lines mean spat hooks = lost fish :woohoo:

I'm from the old school where you pull hard with your rod and wind as fast as you can to take up the slack line not to try and winch the fish in putting LOTS of strain on your line and spool

I'm open to suggestions but faster is better for all fish

Gaz

ps winched in fish using mono line the mono streches as it comes it and when it tries to relax can burst spools apart partically on overheads

Gazza, I agree with you in the main, however as a previous runner-up at Mr Puniverse contest :blush: (would've won if I'd been to the toilet)) I occasionally click down to low gear when winding in a heavy one after a long fight. (Most recently for a turtle in the bay):blink:

Just because I say that for larger fish you need a lower gear ratio, doesn't mean that you still don't have to pump and wind.

Have a look at Tiagra's, they have very low gear ratios but you still see people pump & winding while fighting a fish. I'v tried to wind in massive Rays, 10kg with a 6.3:1 gear ratio, and it is hard to keep winding the handle.

Also, Pelagic means fish that mainly feed on the surface of the water (like Tuna & Mackerel when you see them busting up the surface)

Firstly Pelagic = Fish that are normally caught on the sea surface or in the water column. quote !

I'll explain you set your drag and pull back on the rod when you gain some line you wind it in no stress on your reel just your drag

Never try to winch the fish in

hold the pressure with your rod and drag

if the fish runs let your drag do the work and if set correctly your rod will be the shock absorber

you only gain line on the downward stroke of your rod !!

Rays suck to the bottom when they can and you will not budge them winding a handle tighten the drag if you dare and pull back on the the rod

by the way they dont classify as Pelagic

hope that helps

Gaz

:huh: :dry: :S

I know exactly what pelagic species are (Mackerel, Tuna, Tailor, Bonito etc.)

I know that Rays are definately not pelagic

I know how to wind in fish with the pump and wind method. With the ray, I was doing that and even while trying to wind on the way down, it was still hard to turn the handle with a 6.3:1 gear ratio. I had to nearly lock up my drag to try and pull the Ray up off the bottom (on the upwards movement)

I think you may have completely missunderstood me:silly:

As Cowfish mentioned, Tiagras have a low gear for a reason. Despite all your best efforts, if a decent sized fish doesn't want to come in, you aren't going to pull it in on high gear.

Sure, you can pull the rod back, but it's still bloody hard to wind in. This is where low gear is great!

Archived