Source of lead for making sinkers.

dhess

Go to your local scrap yard,i think from memory scrap yards charge about $1 per kilo.

You could also try the local tyre fitters as they generally keep the old weights from balancing the wheels they may give a small container of them.

Or go and see your local plumber.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dee

www.fishingaustralia.com.au

\"Born to Fish, Forced to Work\"

Cool, thanks for the reply Dee.

I just called some scrap metal dealer and they charge $1.30 per kilo which I guess isn't too bad considering you can make a couple of 16oz snapper leads out of it. BCF charge $4 per 16oz lead.:ohmy:

Yeh quite a few were made(587 to be exact).. I was one of the ones standing around watching and drinking.. hehe..

I suggest though is to use clean lead and try not to use lead from car batteries or anything that has been near Acid, as it seems to spit and carry on a bit.

Also just as a safety tip when heating up lead is be very careful with water beverages sweat etc. as moisture hitting the molten lead and moulds can cause the molten lead to explode

And of course it would be very wise to wear Safety glasses and long welding gloves and wear long cotton sleaves.

What we also did, was buy a whole heap of paperclips, and hold it in the lead that’s in the mould, and that is your hook for the bigger sinkers that don’t have the hole through it.

Hope that all makes sense..

Cheers,

Dee

www.fishingaustralia.com.au

“Born to Fish, Forced to Workâ€Â

All of the above old wheel weights are the best the lead is harder :)

for star sinkers I would get big cheap swivels cut through the eye on one end and spead the 2 ends away from each other find a bit of wire to suspend the swivel in the mould and pour away till first part of the cut swivel in covered

another trick was to buy 1 big star mold and bend the wire you suspend the swivel on lower in the mold and only half fill it etc ;)

the swivel by the way stops it twisting you line as it rolls in the surf

Archived