Half Way Home

ONTHECHEW

Was geed up this week for some off shore action and meet up with some of the guys at the wave break island social, wednesday came and my wife was taking my 4wd down to brisbane and I had to have it packed for the weekends fishing 3 days out :huh: With a weather forecast changing every hour I had no idea and that far out wasn't prepared to put all of my eggs in one basket, so basically packed nearly everything. Had all of my gear for boating offshore a heap of rods and gear for offshore and then one light rod as a just in case it all goes nasty.

Well could have saved a lot of packing, the call was made thursday night to give friday a miss but hopefully saturday looked the goods. But after watching updates every hour the call was made again that saturday was going to be very average offshore. Very unusual to get two sleep ins in a weekend but got a message from mark (Plasticfantastic) that they are heading off in the yaks to target some bass up the brisbane river. Chucked my one light rod in the car and was following the guys and realised that we where almost closer to Toowoomba then the redlands.

Finally got there and have now realised the name "heartbreak hill" is very apparent. Would have made a great funniest home videos entry watch us launch and retrieve our yaks. But going up and down that bloody hill, showed true dedication. Was very tempted on going Fully Loaded Man style and just ride the yak down.

Started fishing about 1pm and it was bloody hot, but a breeze kept the fishing very manageable. Mark was onto the first fish a bass in the mid 40's on a spinnerbait so with in a couple of minutes gordo and myself both also had spinnerbaits on. Gordo and Mark both hooked up to nice fish at almost the same time, Gordo's going 49cms and Marks unmeasured but I think it was bigger, two very nice fish. I managed to only hook small bass, and one vermin catfish but I suppose better then nothing as I am still a novice to yak fishing.

I did lose one good fish to a snag and mark battle what he called for a monster bass in a snag for ages which ended up being a solid catty. It was good to have a crack at a different type of fishing but would have loved to have got offshore but, I bought the yak for days like these so it worked out well. I need for some of my offshore mojo to come inshore :whistle:

Andrew

Photos all taken on my mobile so not so flash

Gordo's 49cm model New PB

post-7753-144598745469_thumb.jpg

post-7753-144598745481_thumb.jpg

Marks new PB suspected 50 plus

post-7753-144598745487_thumb.jpg

post-7753-144598745493_thumb.jpg

One of my monsters :woohoo: The Phone struggled to focus on it because it was so big

post-7753-1445987455_thumb.jpg

Good to see the Andrew land based or kayak curse is slowly fading and some mojo might be taking it's place. Good spot for a fish but not sure if I'd be all that keen to do it again, would rather paddle further to get to a spot then attempt that hill again. :)

Cheers

Mark

If it is the Hill I am thinking of it is brutal. Denis KAF calls it Vomit hill. There is a boat ramp on the other side of the River you can use.

crazywalrus - don't know about a vomit but wouldn't want to do that too many times in a day

fishingnut - would have loved to have been offshore fishing for the big boys, but at least I still got to wet a line.

Surfingant - We used two people at once but I managed to get the back each time, sware it made it feel 20kg heavier.

Andrew

whats wrong with the hill, its all of 60mtrs :silly: :silly: :silly: its hard to launch with the water level higher then normal at the moment. very slippery that last step into the yak :lol: there was a nice size snake sitting at the gate when i got up the hill friday :huh: nice bass by the way!!! when that place fires its awesome fun!!

if you drink and smoke as much as Den it is vomit hill :lol:

pretty funny watch his heart want to explode in his chest :blink:

really though 5 minutes of effort on the way up and a good chance of 50cm bass, I think its worth it. And a saving on a few $$$ in fuel too, definitely a great plan B when the weather is poo for an offshore trip

post-1039-144598745587_thumb.jpg

this makes getting up and down a bit easier, some rope and pool noodle to take the load

really though 5 minutes of effort on the way up and a good chance of 50cm bass, I think its worth it. And a saving on a few $$$ in fuel too, definitely a great plan B when the weather is poo for an offshore trip

[attachment=45756]PA170135.JPG[/attachment]

this makes getting up and down a bit easier, some rope and pool noodle to take the load

All well and good if you're using an esky lid with a paddle you big tough guy! :P hahaha!

Not so easy with an outback! But I agree, well worth it

Nice report by the way OnTheChew! :)

[attachment=45756]PA170135.JPG[/attachment]

All well and good if you're using an esky lid with a paddle you big tough guy! hahaha!

Not so easy with an outback! But I agree, well worth it

Or a tempo ;) speaking of well worth it when we doing it again?

Archived