electric motor batteries

PilbaraBrad

2 X 12 v batteries in parallel quite ok as long as they are same size,brand and age.If one battery is weaket than nthe other the other battery will discharge till both batteries are the same voltage.I am currently running n2 X 12 v 90a/h in parallel for my bow mount and a single 200a/h for my stern mount. They are almost 5 years old and starting to show age even though they are still at same voltage when charged.After a day on NPD one comes in at 12.4v and the other 12.3. I will be replaceing nthem in the near foture.

I am not in favor of on board chargers because they more exposed to extra moisture etc.

I Have anderson plugs on my chargers and simply unplug the minnkotas and plug in the chargers when I get home.

Beware of some of the minnkota onboard chargers as some of them are not suitable for gel cell and agm batteries have a look at their specs before purchasing because if you get the wrong charger you will not get the life from your battery.A good rule of thumb is for your charger to have around 105 of your battery capacity.

ie 160a/h battery 16 amp charger.

Cheers

Ray

Archived