Jacobs Well to Jumpinpin - 28/7/07

bootyinblue

Was on the water at 6am and straight out to drift along the sand flats across from Crusoe Island. Wind was up a little bit blowing me back onto the sand instead of drifting out towards the Pin with the tide.

Mission today was to really give soft plastics a work out. I have normally flicked around with them for a few minutes before going back to baits. Anyway 3inch grubs in pumpkinseed seem all the rage with flathead so in it goes. Couple of casts later, up comes a nice 35cm squid!! Damn, now I have fresh bait on board. So it gets cut up and put on a line too.

Have quite a number of hits and lost some tails, so changed over to 3inch minnow smelts. The next 3 fish landed all inhaled them completely, so we were off and running.

Got in touch with Ellicat on the phone and met up for a quick chinwag, with Brian reporting that the kids are outfishing the boat with 32 and 35cm flatheads.

Screamed back to the ramp to load up a couple of gates (thanks to Brian), and then headed back out to meet up with Chubbster. Found him at secret spot X and anchored up for about 2 hours of fishing and chatting. Plenty of hits again with only a couple of fish boated. Did notice that Chubbs was doing ok with a super soft action rod, and thats where I think I am having problems as I am using a run of the mill general purpose rod with plastics. Anyone with any thoughts on this issue?

Decided to head back with Chubbster to a mad ramp. Brian, saw you retrieving as we pulled in. Was going to come and bid you farewell but decided to give some foul mouthed ramp raging 'occa' a few whispers about ramp etiquette instead.

All in all a good day out. Heading back to BCF tomorrow morning to load up with more supplies and might look at rods while there, unless Dino has 1 he can recommend from his bucket and wants to offload.

Cheers,

Booty get a rod that is around the 7ft mark and I like it to be stiff not all wobbly when you shake it like most bait rods helps to wirk the plastics better just ask someone at bcf your chasing a rod for plastics they will point you in the right direction and you dont have to spend a fortune a good cheaper model is the shimano starlo stix depends what you call cheap but there around $99

chubbstar wrote:

This shot shows the boat in the distance on water. Funny the next shot shows it high and dry. I learnt a lesson from Angus \"trust your instruments\", maybe this guy should have turned them on!

Good on you Booty cleaning up the ramp, there's some boof heads around that don't know what they are doing and cover it with ego.

First up sorry about the pic's, but my first time posting piccy's.

OK, Had a later start than planned, I hit the water about 7:30 had no idea where to go so headed south. I found a spot that looked promising so anchored up, Hooked up a yabbie tossed it in and as soon as it hit the bottom I was hit. Was a little bream 20cm had a lot of hits with 1 or 2 sized fish boated.

I had a rod baited with half a pilly (single hook) and caught a nice bream with that. Then later hooked up with a nice Taylor, My first Taylor ever :woohoo: , Damn this fish put up a good fight,Got it up to the boat and while grabing the net lost it.:( Do Taylor fight hard all the time?

I gave ellicat a ring and went looking for him, did'nt have a clue where I was going so I looked for another spot to anchour up.

I ended up where I started. Fished for a while and notice a boat approching. Ellicat and family, nice to meet you Brian and family pitty we could'nt have a better chat.

After they left I decided to have a go with sp's. First cast I got a Flounder. Then Booty arived. We had a good chat and then he decided to have a fish. Not long after I scored a 42cm flatty. After a lot of hits I boated a 33cm flatty and a small whiting.

All in all a great day on the water, made even better fishing with a mate;) Thanx Booty

Oh and my rod is a Gilstar Lexus 6' now a 5'7\" (tip was broken off last trip).

I like wippy rods so I can feel a mozzie land on it, just suits my fishing style and have always used them. I will be buying another soon, But I'll be looking for a 7'.

Regards Jayson

Yea, Chubbster blew my great unveiling of the sticker positions...LOL

I didnt want to put them too close together so that each stood out on the own for their merits and reasons!!

And hat and sunnies are already packed in the boat for next weekend. The things you forget at 430am.

It was good to finally meet up with some AFO members on the water.

We were running a little late and got on the water at about 8.15. Headed about half way up to the Pin and drifted a new spot for about an hour. Mitch boated a 34cm flatty and then on the second drift Dan pulled in a 32cm specimen.

My only hit came when on the phone with Booty (and I missed it!:evil: ). Oh well. Should have kept working this area but was keen for the meet and greet.

So motored up to just south of the sand across from Crusoe and after a short while without success met up with Greg (Booty). The breeze had picked up a bit so we headed into Tiger Mullet channel for a bit of a look and a few drifts with a couple of hits but no hookups. (Except for a bag of water).

Got a call from Jayson (Chubbstar)and tried to describe where we were and then kept a lookout for him. Only stopped one other boat before realising it wasn't Jayson:blush:

We motored back down and found Jayson and said g'day and a quick chat before heading back to meet Booty at the ramp at 1pm to hand over some goods. Managed to help a guy that had cut his foot on the ramp the previous day and was trying to manage his boat and missus on one foot - How keen was he:blink: Then Greg turned up and together we tried to help a front wheel drive vehicle having a lot of traction trouble.:unsure: Gave Greg Jayson's phone number then parted ways.

Grabbed a pie from the shop and asked of any decent reports coming in. Well the bream king just so happened to be standing behind me. He proudly (& rightly so) took me to his bucket of

bream - all around 45cm+ caught at xxx:whistle:

We then headed back out and went towards Cabbage Tree for a change (haven't fished that way for many years). It was only a matter of time before I boated a diver whiting about 12cm- (not+). The wife was impressed and inspired and before I knew it she had outdone me again with one at least 15cm. A quick decision was made that I couldn't be bothered live baiting them. So we moved on and headed back to the ramp and headed for home.

Was great to put faces to names - a personal highlight of the day:)

Some pics of the boys with their fish to follow [img size=498]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/PinFlattyMitchB.jpg

post-564-144598422629_thumb.jpg

Come on Sards,

Get some concrete into ya! I just didnt want to hear anymore whinging about having to cruise at idle speed so I could keep up.

Nah, it wa a bit impromptu with us all planning on fishing there independantly. But I will make sure you are top of my Christmas card list now though.

Archived