Shultz 29/7, Crazy Evening

Cowfish13

We were thinking of going out to Harry A for an afternoon, but we couldn't be bothered, so we went to Shultz to target some Bream and Flathead. We weren't disappointed.

We arrived at 1:30pm to an already very low tide, but it was still dropping. Sadly we did not get many hits (brother caught a 30cm flatty and dropped a bream) until it started to come in quickly at around 5:15pm.

It the space of around 10mins, 3 people caught and released 6 Flathead, and missed many stikes. The sizes were 52, 50.5, 45, 45, 40, 40. It was insane trying to land a 50cm+ Flathead on 6lb line and leader, with a tiny lure, at night, with only the moon to show up the area.

A couple of funny things happened though. The first was me having to swim and dive down at night in cold water to retrieve my lure. It was FREEZING. and my leg is scraped up completly from many fallen trees

Second was seeing my brother fight a 52cm flathead and trying to lift it up. Sadly, the line broke and the Flathead landed into the water with a SX40 in its mouth. Without thinking (literally) he jumped into the the water, off a 1.5m cliff into the thick mud (which contained many rocks and metal) and scrambled around blindly in the dark trying to grasp onto the Flathead. For a second, he thought he had lost it, but the stupid fish swam back around and was swimming so fast as to ecsape him, that it beached itself on the shore. Jack grasped onto it and managed to hold onto it and heave it up onto the bank.

He bled from a long time and his hands are now very swollen with over 10 puncture wounds from the gill spines and the hooks from the lure. But he still says it was worth it to save his lure and to have the glory of the biggest flathead on a lure, which I had received just 5 mins earlier with the 50.5cm specimen.

All in all, a good session and I will put some of the better photos up tommorrow.

Thanks for reading,

Will

Ps: The Flathead only came on once the water started to rush in and the sun was only just visible on the horizon. It was also a very full moon.

Good effort Cowfish. Sounds like you and the brother are madmen!:silly:

We hit the river for the first time since I was a kid this afternoon and fished near the sunken wall. I didn't raise a scale but the new deckie got a solid flounder about a foot long.

I would have given a lot to hook into a hot flattie session like you had, but would not have braved the cold water or stinky mud for them though:ohmy:

We would have stayed longer, but we had school the next day. So we had to leave the fish biting:( . The lure I swam for caught my 2 fish, so it was definatly worth it.

Also, I will put up the pic's around 5, but most were taken in the dark and aren't very good, but I'll put them up just to prove we caught them.:) . And maybe a pic of Jack's hands:lol:

Post edited by: Cowfish13, at: 2007/07/30 13:08

We didn't catch this yesterday, but this was the kind of tackle we used (loaded with 6lb fireline) and this was the same sort of size we caught. Also this was caught at Shultz.

All photos were on the same phone, but notice the quality difference between the last two and the others. [img size=374]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Tackle.jpg

shultz can be like that, bad one minute than the best fishing the next... theres some big flatties in there too you just have to find the right bank, you need a boat to get the best bank but there are a few other good ones, i love hitting up shultz with 4lb straight through.. managed my pb flattie on 4lb in shultz, it measured 66cm.

what colour sx40s where you using? i have found orange or bright couloured ones work well

Whatnow: It is the canal that runs under the gateway motor way. It is right next to Nudgee Ck

Reef_raider: I was using a transparent colour with a greenish tinge (colour 307) and Jack was using a silver one with a brown back (338) and our friend was using a pearlescent colour (349). If were were going to stay longer, I was going to put on a orangy-brown deep halco scorpion 52 with 16lb flurocarbon, but sadly, we had to go. I HATE SCHOOL. All of these fish were caught while we were walking back to the car.

Also that was my PB flathead. Smashed my old record by 0.5cm

Edit: Jack caught his bigger Flathead on the 338 SX40, but he caught the little one in the second last photo on a SX40 in the colour 343

Post edited by: Cowfish13, at: 2007/07/30 19:41

G'day Cowfish. Good session and good report.

I've never fished Schulz'. Were you fishing off the bank and, if so, do you mind sharing the directions. If it's a \"secret spot\" just say so and I promise I won't tell anyone;)

Cheers.

Update on the hands:

looked way more impressive last night but now just about 10 or so holes. funnily enough half of my right hand has turned blue because of bruising etc. still worth it though :lol:

note to self no. 1: don't try to find phone in bag while your hands are covered in blood.

note to self no. 2: don't use a 6lb leader with an sx40 attached with big toothy fish around.

Thanks

Jack

That trip we only used SX40's, but We have caught bream and Flathead on the Halco Scorpion 35's before. And Flathead on Berkly Frenzies

We went again last saturday for 2 Bream (14.5 & 26) and 2 Flathead (35 & 55). The Flathead were estimated sizes. Again only on Sx40's. But we were only there for 2 hrs or so.

Archived