Yamba holiday

tacklebox

Kreel and I had a glorious 9 days at Yamba recently. The weather was superb, the house we stayed at was very comfortable and we even got around to doing a bit of fishing. The Summer Classic was the last time we'd gone yakking, and the only other fishing trip since then was at the EcoPark at Beenleigh. I think we kind of lost the bug for a while and couldn't be bothered going fishing.

When we went to Yamba last year the fishing was awesome with a lot of variety so we had high hopes of the same. It rained heavily the weekend before we arrived so all the rivers we drove past were brown. Yet within about 15 minutes of fishing off the pontoon in the back yard I'd nabbed at flatty in the high 40s on a damiki vault. Kreel came outside just in time to watch me land it and take my photo. :P

post-2560-144598796399_thumb.jpg

Then he caught a flatty to make it 1-1. :whistle:

post-2560-144598796801_thumb.jpg

A couple of days later we launched the yaks into the canals and went round to the Oyster Channel bridge. I caught a solid bream and a few small flathead trolling lures along the way. Kreel donutted.

post-2560-14459879681_thumb.jpg

The following day we decided to try the middle wall. We'd planned to cut across the flats from the ramp but it was too shallow. As we were making our way around I saw a swirl in front of me and lobbed a plastic in, paused, gave it two flicks and was on! The fish swam towards me so it didn't feel that big initially. Then it woke up and took a few powerful runs and I knew it was a good flatty. I tried to steer it into the shallows where the plan was to step out of the yak and beach the fish. What looked like a sandy bottom was mud so there went that idea. After about 5 minutes I had it in the net and on the yak. It slid out and took off again. Reminder to self to get a bigger net. Take two was successful and out came the ruler and camera for some quick pics. On the measure it was just shy of the full length of my ruler so I'm calling it 80cm. :woohoo:

post-2560-144598796815_thumb.jpg

We made it to the rock wall but didn't have any luck. Details of other days are a bit sketchy but were generally unsuccessful, with predominantly undersized flathead being caught.

post-2560-144598796822_thumb.jpg

The only other excitement on the trip was under the bridge again when I think I hooked a good Jew. It stayed low, swam into the current and stopped a couple of times but the hooks pulled and that was the end of that story.

On the last day we fished the successful flatty spot again for only a few touches. As we were heading in something took a liking to kreel's lure and decided to keep it. Another Mann's bites the dust.

It was a great holiday, very relaxing. I obviously relaxed much more than dear Ms tBox did. Now she has 2 x 80cm Flatties over me, what is a lad to do?

Next year I may have to go to Yamba alone - that way I may come home the victor.

I was using the patented Gorrie presentation technique and my Flatty still looked a tiddler. :(

It was a great holiday, very relaxing. I obviously relaxed much more than dear Ms tBox did. Now she has 2 x 80cm Flatties over me, what is a lad to do?

Next year I may have to go to Yamba alone - that way I may come home the victor.

I was using the patented Gorrie presentation technique and my Flatty still looked a tiddler. :(

haha Jacob has one to over you Kreel. :woohoo: :whistle: :evil:

Archived