Cast net

beemerc

hey buddy, im also in the market for one..im not to sure what brand is at kmart. but if its a sure catch then its going to be your average cast net. i brought a sure catch and sure enough a got in snagged on some sweet rocks. made me wanna punch myself in face lol

how much are they @ kmart?

most of the ones at the chain stores are surecatch or seahorse, they work fine but are a bit harder to throw than a good one.

if you are using them in deep snaggy water a drawstring one is a good idea because you can close them before they hit bottom

• 2 weeks later...
The ones at Kmart are from Jarvis Walker. 6 ft drop and 0.3mm mono. They cost $49. Jeff, do you have any good recommendations for good cast nets? I don't want to lose them after a few throws. :silly:

2nd that, i am in the market and am keen for some advice on a type/brand. I am looking primarily to catch prawns but also catch bait on occasions. :whistle:

I find the chain bottom nets (at Tackleworld etc) are really easy to throw and are not much more expensive than the generic nets.

I also find nylon nets are easier to get a big spread and more distance when throwing because they don't spring closed like mono nets. However, sometimes you catch less because they sink slower than mono and stuff seems to be able to get out easier- prawns get stuck really good in mono nets (but so do bullrout, biddies, and all the other nuiscances :angry: ). Also nylon nets are much stronger than mono, but do get waterlogged and end up like trying to throw a soaking wet towel in long castnetting sessions.

So personally I'd go an 8 foot mono net with chain bottom. 8 foot because the spread on a 6 foot net is pathetic. I reckon just go the mono and be prepared to go for a swim if you snag it, you guys down south are lucky that you don't have the constant croc threat to worry about, I go through at least 6 nets a year due to croc fear :( . Go 3/4" mesh if you want all the little prawns, 1" mesh if you don't want to be hassled so much spending ages pulling little biddies and stuff out of your net.

There are a few experienced netmakers on Ausfish. My neighbour up the road calls himself Pero.(Shortened surname) He sells his nets as _Prawnin Petes cast nets. I see him arouind the bay islands during prawningseason. Also Netmaker is another old hand at making nets.I believe he has put the needle away. And fixes the odd net. So does my neighbour Pero.I guess if you want 6 nets a year you need to buy the cheap Tackleworld and BCF nets. It makes sense.

AS far as nets springing back- its not the mono that causes this. Its because your net is small, you fully open the leadline and it springs back before it hits thew water. that happens with any net that doesn't have enough line around the base.If you want prawns, you want a decent job off guys like these guys. But you'll pay between $250 and $450 depending on the guy that sell them. If you throw in the shallows amongst Mangrove and banks be prepared to buy 2-3 nets depending on how often you go. Another thing to consider- Pero words here- "If your net is a max sized net you get 30-35 square metres of Surface coverage and a very great chance of getting a lot of prawn,herring,mullet per cast compared to a 1.8 metre net that covers 4 square metres with a perfect throw.Thats one tenth-ish of a large net.

On the subject of Mesh size. My experience is that- smaller mesh gets the smaller herring caught in it. Bigger mesh gets bigger herring caught in it. You still get stuff in your net.

If you need more advice pm them to guys. Im sure they will pass on expertice to you.

pero's name is stan...makes a good net and was taught by netmaker...but can tell ya it will cost ya the best part of 250-350 depending on what size and weight of the chain he uses..stan made my net for me last year 12ft chain bottom with top and bottom pockets cost me 350...i have another net bout 10ft mono chain bottom top pocket made by another netmaker here if any1 wants to buy it for $150 firm never seen the water..pm me if ya interested

the big question is where will you be using it ? if you know its snag free area then get a good net . If its somewhere you know nothing about the area then get a cheapo net and use it till you know where it will snag . its a given you will find a snag using a cast net no matter where you are , tearing a cheapo compared to a 200 - 300 net is your option .

use a cheapo to suss the area , then crack the good net out if its clear is the best option

• 2 weeks later...

Archived