Well I'll be damned, sp's work

Liquor Box

I finally caught something on a sp! They have sat in my tackle box for months and never been used as i never thought they worked (for me).

I was out on the broadwater this morning about 2 hours after low tide and fished the sand flats. Using Frozen Prawns I had a little interest but only small tugs. I was getting frustrated and to relieve the boredom I put on a little \"2\" Berkley Walleye Power Grub in Pumpkinseed\"and threw it out over some weed beds. First cast i got a little fish, i am unsure what it is but I was thinking sole? it was very flat and white on one side. I was shocked by this catch, i had never got anything on SP's before.

Not much luck for the next 10 casts and i get bored quickly so i put on a prawnstar and waded on the sand for a little while for nothing.

Went back to prawns and got nothing so I switched to a \"Berkley Gulp 3\" Minnow Pumpkinseed\"and got a whiting on the first cast. I cast about 20 times for nothing and went back to prawns all to no avail.

Went back to the 3\" and got a 44cm flat head on the first cast- i actually could feel the bites pretty well considering I was using a 7ft estury rod that is 12 years old and a reel with 10 year old mono on it. I am looking to put fireline on as I thought i was getting little bites but was not sure as the line seemed to slack. I did lose the tail off a minnow so something definately wanted that!

I think i am now prepared to venture out with only plastics now.

oh, by the way, what a magnificent day to be fishing, and its winter! Where else could yo want to be? [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/First_Soft_Plastic_catch_AFO.jpg

post-1450-144598423389_thumb.jpg

pcsolutionman wrote:

my first tip would be down size those jig heads to around 1/16th if you can you will get more fish. get a light graphite rod 6'6\"-7' and a small 2000 sized reel and spool with some braid or fireline. it will allow you to fish the lighter heads and get extra casting distances.

Lee

I will give the missus your email adress now that I have someone to blame for the new rod I \"have\" to purchase:P

Thanks for the advice, I was going to upgrade any way, believe it or not i lost my rod today while pulling in the anchor and it was sinking down and i mannaged to flick at the rope and bring it back to the surface and retrieve it- it was fun stuff leaning out of a kayak

Archived