The Things You Hear

Jords

Mums been doing a bit of rowing out on Lake Kurwongbah through the club lately, and tonight must have been the 4th time in 2 weeks she has mentioned 'people fishing on the lake'. Only really just clicked it was closed season (I usually ignore her amazement at people fishing in common locations), and after probing deeper apparently the last two times there were people out in kayak....

Like seriously? :huh: When will people learn :dry:

Kurwongbah is not on the list of exempt impoundments yet, the wheels of beurocracy turn slowly.

Some people think they are above the law and rules that others have to follow Jords. These 3 are serial tresspassers/poachers, ignorers of closed seasons and protected No Take legislation everywhere they go not just Kurwongbah.

post-6374-14459881483_thumb.jpg

You can fish in all these locations, but you must not target bass, end of story. Why do people keep saying I saw someone fishing here or there when they shouldnt be. Please read your rule books.

If these people have bass in thier possession or are targeting bass they deserve to be fined.

?? i thought closed season only applied to rivers with tidal influences

:ohmy:

wait... was I wrong or was I right?? :huh:

I know landbased only at kurwongbah... but thought the closed bass season didn't apply to the stocked dams - wivenhoe, NPD, Kurwongbah, Maroon, Moogerah etc?

Clear Island Waters down the coast is stocked with bass, no tidal influence and the closed season also applies there, but there are some big bream there. And that makes the not targeting bass thing very difficult to prove. The way I treat spots like that is to fish elsewhere.

No reason you can't drive the extra 5 minutes and fish NPD. But I guess ethics and the letter of the law are far apart.

From the fisheries website, any dams, lakes, ponds and weirs not mentioned in the "except in and from" list below are off limit for bass fishing.

As far as crafts on Kurwongbah, the nly ones who can legally put a craft on the water are members of the rowing club, water ski club and model sailing boat club. Anyone else in breaking the law.

Australian bass

A closed season applies to Australian bass throughout Queensland from 1 June to 31 August except in and from waterways upstream of Baroon Pocket, Bjelke-Petersen, Boondooma, Borumba, Cania, Cressbrook, Fred Haigh (Lake Monduran), Gordonbrook, Hinze, Lenthalls, Maroon, Moogerah, North Pine, Somerset, Wuruma and Wivenhoe dams; Claude Wharton and Jones weirs; Isis Balancing Storage (Lake Gregory) and Clarendon, Dyer (Bill Gunn Dam) and MacDonald lakes.

Who is going to tell all the property owners whose properties back onto the lake. They abuse the rules daily, in my outings out there I have seen them kayak fishing, seen them fishing in boats with outboards on, seen them fishing from ski boats. They are that blantant they have yaks and canoes laying on the lawns at times, ski boats anchored at edge of water.I had an older couple paddle up to me a few months ago and they told me they launch next to the rowing club and have been doing it for years and often troll lures.Somebody once said to me if you lived there you would probably do the same.

Archived