Kookaburra Park Sat 6/10/07

Feral

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe 20 ft at dead lo. The ramp is quite good for launching at all tides but i need around one hours run in to retrieve my 6m hydrofield mainly because I only have a 2wd hilux and the last few feet of the ramp is very steep.

If you have a look at some of the old posts there is a photo of the ramp at low tide.

Ray.

Guys im sad i wont be able to make this trip honestly. But honeymoon calls.

Can i ask a favour?

Can we get lots of people and nominate someone to write up an article.

We can have it as a frotn page AFO article and we can submit it to the Bush N Beach reader forums.

Should be a god read.

Angus

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I am relatively new to Brisbane and am so glad I found this site it really is a great site. I've aleady had a great day at schultz thanks to this site and looking forward to learning about other fishing spots around Brisbane.

I will be coming to the Kookaburra event but can you give me an idea of what I need to bring in terms of rod types, line strength, hook size, bait, lures etc. etc.

Thanks Rayke,

I had a boat for a number of years but when our son came along I sold it as there was never enough time to go out.

Planning to get another boat early next year as the boy is now 7yo and can come out with me but in the meantime I am getting into some land-based fishing.

Do a search on kookaburra park there are quite a few land based reports there.

Basically the channel is on the other side so you would probably be better off with a long rod to get the distance casting. Some of the guys use plastic inflatables to paddle their bait out.

Look for the twin hulled hydrohiuld centre console with a mariner on the back and give me a yell.

See you

There

Ray.

I am working till 10pm, but if Jeff's description of 'using a cup of fuel' for the entire trip is correct I might yell out if I see anyone around close enough.

Will get KD patrol to try and do a cruise past at about 8pm or so and check all is in order with the cars. So if you see a marked car in the carpark... it will not be me, as I am still station bound for another few months.

Vicky,

It's at Karana Downs, look under Hints & Tips / Fishing locations for location and a map.

I will be going along and fishing from the bank, hoping to learn something from the pros on how to fish in these types of places as all my previous experience has been from boats in saltwater.

Coming from Brisbane, head down moggil road all the way until you can take the turn off onto mt.crosby road. Follow Mt.Crosby road until you can take the turn off onto Tanderra Way. First Street on the left after the camel hump hills (you'll know what i mean ;) )

Once onto tanderra way, follow it until you get to the end, tintersection, turn left onto college road.

follow college road till it goes into a right turn into caringal drive, which you will again follow till the cul - de - sac right at the end where a little drive way will be to yor left. Thats Kookaburra park. Follow the drive right to the end you will see a boat ramp and i can imagine thats where oyur all meeting.

From ipswich side, head to chuwar, goe staight towards karalee through the three roundabouts, over colleges crossing bridge on mt crosby road, turn right onto college road (first right after fire station) follow college road all the way till you get to caringal drive as mentioned above.

hope my google earth map of kookaburra works

ok it didnt.

Guys try these spots if you want

(whispers to jeff dont worry jeff i wont give them the jack hole LOL)

(whispers to everyone else - FOLLOW JEFF hehehe J/K)

Heres some GPS locations for GOogle earth so you understand what im talking about!

If i understand right you'll be out at the rise - peak - fall of high tide.

Gather bait at these spots.

Beach next to baot ramp (few snags be careful)Lat. 27°32'23.34\"S

Long. 152°50'20.04\"E

Sheltered part of this elbow bayLat. 27°32'13.10\"S

Long. 152°49'49.71\"E

Mudflats

Lat. 27°32'1.03\"S

Long. 152°49'56.70\"E

Lat. 27°31'57.38\"S

Long.152°50'2.14\"E

Good Lure areas (also bait fishing spots)

Creek 27°32'19.43\"S

152°50'6.31\"E

27°32'36.79\"S

152°50'28.99\"E

27°32'45.57\"S

152°50'18.67\"E

27°31'56.87\"S

152°50'51.22\"E

Structure

27°32'40.98\"S

152°50'27.56\"E

27°32'35.02\"S

152°50'31.71\"E

Rock Ledge (Be Careful big boats! STAY TO RHS heading upstream theres a marker anyway)

27°32'40.17\"S

152°50'29.35\"E

Check this entire bank out with your sounder, youll find some good water/structure -

27°31'55.47\"S

152°49'58.49\"E

OK thats just a few, and the last spot along that bank is also great for dropping crab pots.

Couple of warnings it shouldnt bother you at high tide but if you there at low ... ALl creeks pretty much dry out at low and are very shallow dont get trapped as i've seen someone do (kholo creek is the worst for that)

These Powerlines

27°33'1.38\"S

152°49'25.14\"E

mark the last of the easy navigatable water for anything bigger then a 3m tinny !!! Submerged boulders, big rocky flats and At half low tide to half high tide are ALMOST IMPASSIBLE coz of a massive rockbar. I used to live a house up from here and watch the guys get stuck and kill time til tide came up high enough to get back to boat ramp!!

However if you are daring enough..

27°33'13.24\"S

152°49'22.93\"E

is called Venus Pool and is great shark fishing!!!

Anyway i really look forward to seeing how ya's go I miss punting around that stretch of river in Tin Lizzy!

bootyinblue wrote:

Duh... I didnt realise it was this saturday and not last. Good news is that I have the weekend off, so will endeavour to get down there at some stage. Can some one give me a quick checlist of tackle and bait needed as never fished there before.....please?

greg the only thing special you need is a 2 pair of multi grips and a donger to deal with putrid pike eels.

30 to 45 cm premade wire traces.

5/0 or 6/0 hooks

line size doesn't matter i have landed the little buggers on 2kg.

if you are using dead bait go for a paternoster rig to get the bait above the mudcrabs.

bait;

dead;any fresh fish or eel fillets

live;anything 10-20cm long that comes up in the castnet, smaller baits allways seem to get monstered by pike eels before anything else finds them.

a bit of advice to anyone fishing from a boat at kooka

if you have a second anchor use it to anchor fore and aft to stop the spin.

as the tide gets toward high or low it gets very surgey,add the variable breezes caused by the cliffs and all the eddys going every wich way means you can spend a couple of hours each tide doing circles around your anchor.

jeff f wrote:

greg the only thing special you need is a 2 pair of multi grips and a donger to deal with putrid pike eels.

30 to 45 cm premade wire traces.

5/0 or 6/0 hooks

line size doesn't matter i have landed the little buggers on 2kg.

Not to critise you Jeff (because you sure catch a crapload of sharks, and biggens:blush:), but I find that length trace too short. I tend to get busted up repeatedly using that length:angry: For that reason I would recommend traces 3-4 feet long, but hey maybe the difference is bank fishing vs boat fishing. With the bank fishing I do maybe the livie tends to wrap around the trace or something crazy like that!

cheers, wwolfB)

Archived