Cannot wait for Walmart

rayke1938

At least its going up at North Lakes, should draw the freaks away from my side of town.

Costco is not Wal-Mart :P Sam's Club is Wal-Mart's Costco.

I can only hope that Wal-Mart does not ever get to Australia. I have been to Wal-Mart's corporate headquarters as a representative for my former company (who does around $30 million per year in business with them) and it is the strangest place I have ever visited.

Costco was designed around buying in bulk to allow small business owners to buy in bulk for themselves (smaller bulk than Costco was buying) to save money. Turned out that it worked well for people with large families and for people who stocked up on products. Basically, they wanted your local pub owner to be able to buy the 20 kilos of pretzels he was going to use on the weekend for cheaper than he could get them at the grocery store because he was buying 20 kilos.

Simply put, they are a wholesaler. I think they will probably drive down some costs because rather than the 110% markup that the local shop puts onto a kayak, Costco will put on a 40% markup (maybe less) because they can sell to the guy who is happy with a 20% profit selling them out of his garage 400 kms away from Costco.

The Wal-Mart business model is very very much different. Wal-Mart squeezes the suppliers in order to drive down cost to the consumer. There are many documented cases where Wal-Mart has forced its suppliers into disadvantageous contracts as Wal-Mart continues to demand more of their production, the supplier devotes more production to Wal-Mart at the expense of diversity, when Wal-Mart is the largest buyer they dictate the price to the supplier and increase the size of the order, the supplier tries to keep up by sourcing product from 3rd world countries and Wal-Mart continues to decrease the cost per item and increase the items per order, when the supplier goes bankrupt Wal-Mart buys them.

Keep Wal-Mart out.

Archived