Typical Used Car Salesman

Gary_C

I have to post this in the humour section because I just can't think of anywhere else it would really fit....

Erin and I went today to look at some grocery getters so we have something to use as a daily driver and to not have to depend exclusively on the Jeep considering my proclivity to breaking it....

I test drove a used Ford Fairmont today and quite liked the vehicle. However, the oil pressure gauge was all over the place and I could not quite figure it out with the limited time. I got back to the car lot and the conversation goes thus:

The salesman asks me, "How did you go with the drive?"

"Something is wrong with the oil pressure," I replied pointing at the gauge, "it is jumping between 5, where it should be, and into the red at 7 so there is something not right here."

"That gauge?" he replied. "That gauge tells you the oil is full, when it gets down to here (pointing at the 1 on the gauge) it means that the oil is empty."

At this point, I looked at him like he was insane and Erin is trying not to snicker as I say, "Uh No! That tells you the pressure of the oil. If it is too full, it would be way up on this side. When it is bouncing around like this, it means there is a problem."

He then offers to let me test drive the Ford Falcon that he has been trying to steer me towards since I walked onto the lot.

"This car is just the same, but has RWC already. The other car won't have the RWC until Monday. It has been looked after very well. Do you want me to back it out of the space or are you okay?"

"I am okay, I can back it out."

So, I back out of the space, turn onto the road and less than 100 meters later I turned around and brought it right back. I then explained to him that he either has a bearing out in one of the rear wheels or the brake is not disengaging. His response is "Oh, we don't check them every day so we may not have noticed it are you sure there is something wrong with it?"

All of this happened after I watched somebody test driving one of the other vehicles have the car die less than 200 meters away and the other salesman sprinting with a jump pack to get it up and going....

Needless to say, their credibility with me is pretty much shot! :lol:

It is not like I was expecting anything pristine from the place, but I didn't realize I look stupid enough to buy that story! Everybody wants to play Yank the Yank. :(

I guess I was more incredulous than anything else.

Do Aussies really think that Americans are really that stupid? FFS the only difference is that the steering wheel is on the other side of the car (see my earlier post about the shop trying to charge 10 times what the parts cost and a 4 week wait).

BTW Billy, I think it is the oil pump. A faulty sensor would have had the needle drop down below 5.

Do Aussies really think that Americans are really that stupid? FFS the only difference is that the steering wheel is on the other side of the car (see my earlier post about the shop trying to charge 10 times what the parts cost and a 4 week wait).

BTW Billy, I think it is the oil pump. A faulty sensor would have had the needle drop down below 5.

I'm sure he wasn't being racist towards yanks :P He probably just treats everyone like a dumbass :silly:

I'm sure he wasn't being racist towards yanks :P He probably just treats everyone like a dumbass :silly:

Exactly, after all he is in Australia, trying to sell bombs to Australians.

Archived