Fisherman stabbed

AZZA

i dont know about you guys but i always carry a super sharp knife with me if fishing at night on land. but the worst part of this is you cant say you have the knife on you if anyone does try to start you. you can only use it if they have charged at you with another weapon. so many flaws in qld legislation on provocation and self defense

Personally, I always carry a knife when fishing but I would not be comfortable using a knife against somebody unless absolutely necessary. I prefer a heavily weighted fish whacker.

Back in the states a group of my dad's friends were out fishing when 3 carloads of gangbangers rolled up and attacked them. They all survived, but one of them was stabbed in the back and ended up with a collapsed lung.

Never felt it was necessary to carry something here, but I'm thinking it may be time to start fashioning a nicely weighted fish whacker.

Personally, I always carry a knife when fishing but I would not be comfortable using a knife against somebody unless absolutely necessary. I prefer a heavily weighted fish whacker.

Back in the states a group of my dad's friends were out fishing when 3 carloads of gangbangers rolled up and attacked them. They all survived, but one of them was stabbed in the back and ended up with a collapsed lung.

Never felt it was necessary to carry something here, but I'm thinking it may be time to start fashioning a nicely weighted fish whacker.

+1 I think most of us carry a filleting knife around but I wouldnt pull it against someone unless absolutely necessary to defend myself.

were you thinking of the ole classic steel baseball bat for your fish whacker? :P

stating when and where you will be fishing online can lead to a set up. i had a fella meet up with me at coomera once after a post stating where i will be, but when it came to the crunch his balls shrunk and was outta there very quick :lol: lol meeeooooowwww so word of advice if you have had clashes with people online with messages then dont ever post going fishing post with full details ;)

I was talking to a bloke from the Goldy whilst camping at Hervey Bay this year, he said his 15yr old son and his son's mates were fishing somewhere near Talebugerra when a group of thugs lobbed up.

Anyways apparently they just chatted with the boys like ordinary human beings for a while then all of a sudden just snapped. Bashed a couple, threw some of their gear in the water and some on a fire the boys had going. (The fire didn't probably help their causes....would stand out like a beacon...not that I didn't do things like that as a kid fishing on a cold winters night haha!...ps certainly not on a wooden jetty though...WTF!)

The son ran backed and got his Dad. They were still hanging around too when he'd got back there. Had a big stick with him and they all took off (1 vs 8 or so, very brave). The old man was not happy as some of the gear was his.

thats why i always have a super sharp diving knive when i go fishing at night especially when im by myself !

Very stupid comment. With that attitude you will find your getting stabbed with your own knife.

\

There is more chance of getting hurt or beaten after leaving a night club in town.

Its never happened to me but if things go bad at night on a boat I'm thinking some blinding light with a spotty and a quick emergency call on the radio would be a much safer option. Surprising how something as simple as a light can disorient someone enough for you to start up and drive away, hopefully without any damage.

Goldy is getting a bit "interesting" at the moment. I almost had my hand broken earlier this year when fishing with a buddy on the sundale bridge a car drove past doing around 60-70ish and thought it would be funny to throw whole potatoes at us.

It's not totally unsafe, however fishing bridges makes you a target for every dimwit to dump their rubbish at your head while doing high speed and you still have a few simpletons coming down to other spots while being on the liquor looking to start trouble.

Best idea is to keep your wits about you, make sure you let others know where you are going, don't head out by yourself & don't try and be a hero by pulling out a weapon!

Be safe everyone!

• 1 month later...

Archived