Offshore straddie with few pbs

Shane69

Last minute decision to Head offshore today. Weather looked okay according to report. Flat run through the bay and a good bar.

Jigged up quite a few livies as we didnt take much bait today.

Weather was pretty ordinary in the morning, There wasnt much swell but stiff 20 knots SW. It made fishing hard as it was wind against current. We decided to go fish around middle reef and shag rock until the wind slowed down. Boat rock was unfishable. We got a few fish in the box here and there until the wind slowed down around 12. We made our way back to boat rock. The little tuna were thick and they became a real pain trying to floatline.

Whislt Drifting around we found a good stack up of fish. Dropped a livie down and it got smashed. After a good fight pops up a kingie. It tried to go back to the reef but i got him up. My first legal kingie from boat rock and also my pb at 74cm. I cant wait to learn how to jig for them. They go hard.

We kept presisting with livies until the mac tuna moved in. We didnt want to waste livies so started dropping plastics down. We caught a few 7-8kg macs from the patch.

It slowed down after so we decided to drift a bit further out around with livies and plastics as we ran out of bait. Not much happening there so i decided to drop a big yakka on a size 8 sinker and let it sit at the bottom while i casted at little tuna. It wasnt long before the line started ripping off the livie rod. I thought it got stuck at the bottom but than it started running with head shakes. After a few good runs it felt like dead weight. Pops up a 74cm gold spot cod. Another Pb for me.

Next drop my mate got a nice parrot and i got a 55cm Moari cod. The sharks moved in than. We caught 5 Bronze whaler Sharks 1 after another on livies. It was chaos in the boat. We had double hookups. It was Good fun.

It was getting pretty late by now so we decided to head back in.

Conditions on the water was pretty ordinary offshore in the morning but it was nice after lunch. Fishing was a bit slow but ended up with a good feed and the sharks were heaps fun.

Hopefully the snapper come on the bite next trip.

I also got to try out my new 10-20lb Seven Half rod. Im quite impressed with it. Its a nice rod and it loads up nicely.

post-9281-144598855071_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598855086_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598855093_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598855107_thumb.jpg

Shane

Awesome work mate. Keen to hit some kingies again.They go hard as.

Were the birds hitting the water much with that much wind. They were quiet yesterday even though there were some ok bait balls.

Nah no birds, too rough. The jelly bean tuna kept randomly busting up next to boat.

The bigger ones were down below. They were sitting ontop of bait. You could see them on sounder. They are a pain. Dislike tuna now. They were hitting livies before it got next to kingies. Heaps of birds in the bay though. Mac tuna everywere.

Good session there Shane, you will get some nice fillets off that cod :woohoo:

Did u keep the Mac Tuna for strip bait ???

cheers tim :)

The cod was fat. Photos dont do justice. We got so much meat out of it.

Nah i let it go. I dont keep tuna anymore. I got enough at home to last me for bait whole year lol. They are a pain mac tuna. Small ones are good im saving them for mackerel bait.

Yeah they are fat buggers cos they eat anything that swims past them :lol:

If you want plenty of small Mac Tuna you need some small micro jigs (50-60 grams) with twin assist hooks.

Heres a pic of a fat bastard i got at hutchies on a gulp grub, think it went 8kg's.

cheers tim :)

post-11417-144598855221_thumb.jpg

post-11417-144598855227_thumb.jpg

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB51LkDcg4k

Archived