MBC 2012 - faulked and ellicat

ellicat

"Dolphin - Straight ahead !" I shouted as Jason and I made our way to Mud Island. I pushed the throttle to full and the Force leapt forward on the calm sea. But alas, I was still not able to secure that new headgear I am perpetually seeking.

It was Saturday and a day late start due to both of us being ill in different ways for the Friday mission. Initially headed for the face of the rock wall we changed plans after a brief discussion when we saw how good conditions were.

We could not believe how many jellyfish were in the water. They probably aren't cute enough for anyone or group to care, but sadly I report that I managed to mince quite a few over the course of the day with the Force's prop.

post-564-144598857797_thumb.jpg

We arrived at our spot and began the first drift. The breeze and current worked well for us and kept us along the perfect line. Jason was first on with this little ripper aquarium species -

post-564-144598857764_thumb.jpg

A few undersize squire came aboard before I had the fortune to hook up to this one -

post-564-14459885778_thumb.jpg

post-564-144598857788_thumb.jpg

It made me happy to have an entry of a legal size. My last MBC I caught a thousand undersize but not one legal. Although I was not disappointed as I landed my first ellicatus peniatus that year.

We did a few drifts. I was using pillies or 1/2 pillies and faulked was on the peeled prawns. A flurry of fish found faulked's food fine enough to bite and the variety included lancers, bream, tarwhine and squire. I was mainly sticking to the squire.

At the end of one drift we moved back and discovered someone had muscled in on our drift. I thought they were anchored and so just started our drift short. After a few minutes I noticed the other boat was keeping up with us :unsure: and he didn't have his anchor out. Oops ! At this point he started up and motored away (probably cursing us). Sorry about that if it was you :blush:

It was late morning when we headed up the west side and ducked in out of the breeze and waves to put the kettle on. Blow me down ! I did it again and ran out of gas and forgot to throw a spare in. So I disembarked and made a fire with sticks (is it still a fire if the flames are infrequent ? lol) while Jason sucked down some goodies and kept his socks dry. Here's an interesting thought - when building a fire on a shallow island consider if the tide is coming in or not. :pinch: The kettle got just hot enough before the coals were hissing from the lapping waves :lol:

post-564-144598857807_thumb.jpg

Feeling better for the cuppa we headed around to a spot of jasons and with some precision anchoring (and a bit of d i c k i n g around lol) we were set for the dusk/evening session.

Plenty of entertainment here with a legal painted sweetlips a heap of grassies just on or under legal coming aboard as well as a bream that was entered and the usual rat squire, tarwhine etc.

post-564-144598857815_thumb.jpg

post-564-144598857823_thumb.jpg

post-564-144598857831_thumb.jpg

Jason brought in a legal squire that found it's way onto the shark rig as a livie. It disappeared soon after. A bream was found as a replacement soon after which in turn turned into a wobbygong around the 1 - 1.5 metre mark (Jason got a better look than me)

There were a heap of baitfish all around us and plenty of surface strikes happening. Quite exciting to be there but not exciting enough for two weary old men :pinch:

We headed back, stopping at the rock wall on the way where I jagged another around legal squire, that went back, on my first cast. Second cast was snagged and busted off. Without the enthusiasm to retie that was it for this years MBC.

Great day Jason. Really enjoyed it. Highlight was when "someone threw a bird at us" :lol::lol: :silly:

• 1 month later...

Checked the PO box for the first time in ages the other day.

Surprised and pleased to find my MBC prize amongst the other rubbish. :woohoo:

I opened the package to discover a couple of Pontoon 21's which I have been meaning to get around to buying as well as a swag of my favoured Armour Shad's in a variety of colours and all 5" (my preferred size - how do these people know this stuff ?) and a pack of Monster Mikki's that, like the Pontoon 21's, I've been meaning to get around to purchasing as well lol.

So, thanks very much for the prize Zim Man/Rob/Searing Tackle. Very happy. :)

Archived