My first Aussie bass ever, it was a cracker, but bit costly

beckenry

I dreamed to get my first bass ever last year but I was so in love with breamos, so I stayed away from freshwater til the recent week. After half dozens sessions of failures to chase estuary GT, I turned my focus on the oz bass. So today, it was my first ever bass session.

So here is the thing, before I drove to uni to let my girlfriend studying there for the arvo, I told her that we will have dinner around 6 and I will cook. But after 2 hours study at home, I asked myself, the weather was perfect, hot and sunny day, forecast night showers possibly storm, which in my experience of growing up besides a fish farm, the fish will be active on the surface. So I decided to go to the bass spot, and to try out the walk-the-dog style lure.

I arrived at the spot around 4:30 and I reckoned that I can fish for one hour and then go back home to cook, which should be alrite. So I threw the lure into the water and started to recall and learn the techniques I just saw on the youtube. Then I saw some small explosions on the water, which made me more confident that this water does have some fish. So after 8 or 9 casts, the water exploded where my lure was. I was soooo excited, and strike........nothing..... It happened for 3 or 4 times afterwards.

It was getting darker, and it felt like it was around 5:15 then. I promised myself for 5 more casts, then I will go home. On the second to last cast, I saw a shadow came out and then my lure disappeared...The reel started to sing....zzzzz...I did not believe myself, I actually hooked up one bass on my first ever session.... After 3 or 4 minutes, I landed the fish, it was around 34 or 35,,, the same size of the cod I caught last month. The lure hooked the mouth pretty well, and when i was finding my pliers to take the last hook out, magically, the hook I reckon just came out itself, and the fish happily jumped back to the river.......WITHOUT A PHOTO!!!!! I almost could hear my mates laughing and saying that it was just a joke....

I quickly dusted myself, picked up my rod and started to throw the lures out again. As it was getting darker and darker, I SUDDENLY realized that I should be home at 6 o'clock and at that moment, it was already dark and I could barely see my lure in front of me. I quickly packed up and went back to my car,,,,gosh, 19 missed calls.

As soon as i called back to my gf, she refused to see me and refused to have dinner together, and told me that she thought to break up with me just now, saying it was the 5th times this month..... After couple of attempts to say sorry and failed, here I am. My first ever bass landed, around 34 cm not a bad size, not been photo recorded, and the mess in the relationship, I really dont know it was a good arvo or not >.<

Been married for 20 years and my wife can tell if I have had a 15min sneaky bass session on the way home but she understands i need the time to wind down some days. So she usually takes it easy on me. I some times get up early on the weekends and go chaseing bass and return home before anyone else in the house has woken up.

Congratulations on your first bass too watch yourself they can become addictive.

I used to have a girlfriend like that and didn't like me fishing.

She gave me an untimatum one day...It's me or the fishing.....

God i miss her.... :silly: :silly: :silly:

I don't miss my wife at all plus I get to go fishing at the drop of the hat (except for every 2nd weekend when I have the kids) :whistle:

when it comes to women and relationships , one thing has to be said at the start..... " I love my fishing and ill go when i want....if you want to come with me then fine but if you start catchin bigger fish or more fish than me you can sit in the car.....if you dont want to come , dont whinge about it when i come home ! simple really....... i dont think they understand it completely what is about men and fishing.... just like we'll never understand what it is to be a woman !

literally fishing for whole 3 days, and still wanted to go fishing on the 5th day. >.<

Im like this EVERY day.......

My Mrs rarely comes fishing, but she also knows how it is. She rarely calls or txt's while im fishing, its my time. Set the boundaries now mate or she will be walking all over your forever! :evil:

Mate first up brovo on the bass...keep that going they are bloody awesome to catch!

secondly......a bunch of flowers and a bottle of wine she will be melting back into your arms! If not.......chicks are like buses mate, one leave's there will be another along shortly!! :P

Find a missus that loves your passion for fishing, if they don't get off that bus and get on another one!

literally fishing for whole 3 days, and still wanted to go fishing on the 5th day. >.<

Im like this EVERY day.......

My Mrs rarely comes fishing, but she also knows how it is. She rarely calls or txt's while im fishing, its my time. Set the boundaries now mate or she will be walking all over your forever! :evil:

Exactly the way it should be! My Mrs is always welcome to come and sometimes she does but she Understands I need to fish at least twice a week just to relax and get away from work etc. If you're truly passionate about something then your partner needs to understand that's the way you are and vice versa. BUT, do yourself a favour and if you've made plans to pick her up DO IT ON TIME or you're asking for trouble!

My wife used to go crook if I went fishing, now she goes crook if I dont and goes crook if I come home early.

Ditto it can be blowing 40knots and pissn down and all i get is what are you doing home spoiling my day?

I am in the poo already because I am going to be home rest of week getting the new car,fitting towbar and getting ready for Mondy trip on Sat.

Cheers

Ray

Yes mate you got all the advice from fella's of different ages and experience and listen to them all wisely,all relationships are 50/50 ,and next time you take her fishing even though she might catch first give her heaps of compliments on her fishing give her head swell might keep her there longer and and if that doesn't work p@#$$ her off and find some one who likes you for you

Nice job dude. Don't worry, everything will be alright. But u should be home on time next time and answer ur phone calls.

haha...yep mate. But it was sooooo hard to call it a day and the last cast. I reckon that it was the reason ppl got addicted to fishing, you never know what happens on your next cast.

Btw, I read your post, since everybody knows, I got my first bass in college crossing....hahaha. Lure luck I guess. That was the first day I tried the walk-the-dog.

Thx guys, i would definitely appreciate your life advices :)

I can't wait to finish all my exams, and be on the water again. I hope I can post up my first "officially recorded" bass here asap.

I even got a fking Go PRO to record the evidence!! Hahaha...

BTW, if anyone is looking for a new Go PRO, I found the JB hifi in the Garden city has deal on them. It was marked $294, but you can still discuss a deal with them. I also checked the JB hifi in the city, Carindale and Chermside, they all have the old 399 price tag on it.

• 1 month later...

Archived