Shark fishing tips for the Brisbane River?

sharkhunter

Hi iv been trying my luck for bull sharks in the Pine river over the past few weeks and have had no luck at all. Iv given up on it to be honest. Im going to take my Tinny to the Brisbane River around the mouth at Luggage Point on the drop off. Can anyone suggest any tips or tricks. Like how deep to float bait, whats the most effective bait, Burley to use and other spots in the Brisbane River. Im looking to catch some preferably 2 metres long atleast.

Also going to drop down some fresh bait and hopefully get some Jewies and Threadfin aswell.

Any tips and advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.

If you want some definite big sharks, try the bay. I know some boys on here have got onto a few big ones in the past. However, some big Brisbane River bullies have been caught (some even around the 3 metre mark)

and don't give up- persistance is definately the key. I have not caught a single fish in my last 5 trips i've been out, but i continue to head out cus i no one time soon, i'll have a good sesh

As for shark bait, anything oily- freshwater eeel, tuna ; etc. As for the rest of the tips- i'll leave that to the sharking gurus on here ;)

good luck

cheers

Anthony B)

fresh baits. bonito, tuna, eel, mackeral, ray, big caties ect

in the river you will get a better bite during the night, not saying you wont get them during the day.

put a bait on the bottom and 1, 3m under a balloon

it is def not an uncommon thing to catch 2m+ modles in the river. we have had nights where we couldnt get into the bay and had a absolout cracker of a sesh with 8-10 2m+ sharks to the side of the boat.

try between bogy and the end of the reclaimed wall for best chances. try and find you big congragations of bait of flats that hold rays

if you wnat any more info in detail, p.m me mate

Thanks heaps for the advice guys i really appreciate it, i usually go offshore once a month 2 get real fish, but during the weeks i take the tinny out 2 nights a week, sick of catching little bream n flathead etc in the Pine river so for fun i have decided 2 step it up to shark fishing for the thrill, im a catch a releaser so im very keen 2 catch some sharks. Iv been floated 10cm long chunks or Pike eel in the Pine while burley'ing up with tuna logs and tuna oil but not even a nibble, iv never ever fished in the Brisbane river before so i dont even know where to try, just been reading forums and apparently the drop off out past Luggage point can produce big Bull sharks so was going 2 try there. I am very patient ad persistent and wont stop until i catch my first decent shark. Should i fish for them on the edge of the drop offs or just out past it in the deeper water?

fresh baits. bonito, tuna, eel, mackeral, ray, big caties ect

in the river you will get a better bite during the night, not saying you wont get them during the day.

put a bait on the bottom and 1, 3m under a balloon

it is def not an uncommon thing to catch 2m+ modles in the river. we have had nights where we couldnt get into the bay and had a absolout cracker of a sesh with 8-10 2m+ sharks to the side of the boat.

try between bogy and the end of the reclaimed wall for best chances. try and find you big congragations of bait of flats that hold rays

if you wnat any more info in detail, p.m me mate

yep hurt is the man he is the guy to talk to he know his bussiness

All good advice so far. I have got them using whole pilchards and legal live bream/whiting etc. Evening/night has produced more bull sharks. Spots I find very likely is Nudgee foreshore and up in the creek, Logan river, Brissy river. There are some big ones out there, be careful and good luck.

mate i would put luggage point at the top of the list. few weeks back i was fishing the flats on an incoming tide before and on dusk, the water got upto my waist and about 20-30 metres out on the drop off i saw a fin pop up and thought it was a dolphin... but after a good time looking at it i realised it was a bully around the 1.5-2m mark! :blink:....i've never ran so fast on water before!

Hi Everyone, Just joined up today!

Just caught my first Shark in the River past The Pinkenba sewer on Sunday for my birthday. Just near the second beacon. Picked up around 30small Herring and 2x 25-30cm Mullet first throw of the castnet.

Had my Old mans Penn boat rod rigged with 80lb braid and a 60cm wire trace, one hook through the tail of one of the mullet and lobbed him in, 3mins later, the drag started to turn over.. Let him run for 10sec then hit him.. No burley. Just luck perhaps.. He was just over 1.4m.

Couldnt be happier!!

Great little battle and an awesome birthday present..

If anyone's got some tips for the back off Green Island I'd love to hear them, I've only got a little 4m tinny with a 25hp on the back but I'm willing to put in the hard yards to get on to some Schoolies or decent Snapper, all these little Squire, Grinners and Reef fish are fun but I need to step it up a notch. I'm copping flack from the Old Man..

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Matty

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I just joined up today. Am from Canberra, and tired of just catching bream and catfish so have spent the morning researching more exciting fish in Brissy's river, and how best to catch them.

Going to try for a shark this afternoon, so the tips have been great.

Next thing to purchase it seems is a throw net so I can get some livies and hopefully hook into a jew, or threadfin soon.

Any more advice would be great. And if anyone wants to go for a fish, I am super keen, have plenty of time and really want to meet some more people in Brisbane.

Cheers

Luke

Archived