AFO wonderers smack up the Goldie

mick fillet

Well it was another cracker and well organised event,and a big thanks to Tugger for selecting yet another prime weekend of near perfect condiditions for the wonderers camp group that camped out on the northern edge of wavebreak island.

Friday saw the majority of the wonders flotila turn up and to sum it up not much fishing happened on the friday. ;) :whistle:

Saterday morning more boats and crew turned up and the flotila went out the sea way to smack up the blue waters off the Gold coast.

Most of the boats were chasing marlin,pelagics etc using live bait and trolling and the select few broke away from the group and tried there luck on the snapper grounds with great success. :woohoo: well done! Other boats including my own also broke away from the group and head wider out into 70mtrs of water which produced many strikes from the bill fish and had some awesome palagic hook ups with some major air time :woohoo: also a few reef fish were taken from the deeper water bottom bashing and float lining.The ussual cook up of rotisserie chickens and pork shouler camp oven style was had and enjoyed by all.

Sunday morning saw team wonders smack up the 24's in close and some great fish were taken from these grounds including parrot, snapper,flathead,tuna,mahi mahi,

was a good turn out of boats i think i counted 15 boats at one stage and around 25 AFO crew and friends thanks to all for another top weekend.

post any pics you have of the weekend here,feel free to add your weekends events in this thread. :woohoo: :woohoo:

I enjoyed a little bit too much "not fishing" on Friday night... All well and good until early Saturday morning when we hit the water and I suffered for it!

Between bouts of heaving up nothing on an empty stomach, I did manage to hook up to and fight a small marline of around 20kg for around 5 minutes before spitting the lure out...

Was a Halco Laser Pro, 300mm of 30lb twisted fluro, about 2 metres of 30lb fluro and 30lb braid...

Was something I'll never forget. Can't wait to land one!

Well it was another cracker and well organised event,and a big thanks to Tugger for selecting yet another prime weekend of near perfect condiditions for the wonderers camp group that camped out on the northern edge of wavebreak island.

Friday saw the majority of the wonders flotila turn up and to sum it up not much fishing happened on the friday. ;) :whistle:

Saterday morning more boats and crew turned up and the flotila went out the sea way to smack up the blue waters off the Gold coast.

Most of the boats were chasing marlin,pelagics etc using live bait and trolling and the select few broke away from the group and tried there luck on the snapper grounds with great success. :woohoo: well done! Other boats including my own also broke away from the group and head wider out into 70mtrs of water which produced many strikes from the bill fish and had some awesome palagic hook ups with some major air time :woohoo: also a few reef fish were taken from the deeper water bottom bashing and float lining.The ussual cook up of rotisserie chickens and pork shouler camp oven style was had and enjoyed by all.

Sunday morning saw team wonders smack up the 24's in close and some great fish were taken from these grounds including parrot, snapper,flathead,tuna,mahi mahi,

was a good turn out of boats i think i counted 15 boats at one stage and around 25 AFO crew and friends thanks to all for another top weekend.

post any pics you have of the weekend here,feel free to add your weekends events in this thread. :woohoo: :woohoo:

You need a deckie mick! :whistle:

Boat MelMick had "The Crew"(motley crew) on board as deckie,we headed out to wider grounds where some colour hit the box-snapper,gold spot wrase,marbled flat head.Whilst drifting around trying to smack up a decent reefy we noticed on the sounder the water temp peeked at 26.8 deg.and there was bait through out the area so thats when we started trolling.

post-5342-144598884186_thumb.jpg

setting a few pushers out the back and bibed body lures out the sides and plastics set off the out riggers.The engine was trimed up for maximum wash and the lollie pop of all flasher teasers was deployed out the back on a rope.

post-5342-144598884199_thumb.jpg

wasnt long before it payed off with the crew getting a nice whoo

post-5342-144598884208_thumb.jpg

post-5342-144598884219_thumb.jpg

we did more trolling and more whooooing

post-5342-144598884228_thumb.jpg

Awesome stuff boys, I have never been so jealous in all my life!!!! Mick,

you look particularly excited in that first shot with the wahoo!!!! About to put up a 'deckie spot wanted' post for this weekend - worth a try!!

Anyone got any idea how long this run of marlin is likely to last? Is it normal for this time of year? Or is it that they are just in closer than normal at the moment?

Awesome stuff boys, I have never been so jealous in all my life!!!! Mick,

you look particularly excited in that first shot with the wahoo!!!! About to put up a 'deckie spot wanted' post for this weekend - worth a try!!

Anyone got any idea how long this run of marlin is likely to last? Is it normal for this time of year? Or is it that they are just in closer than normal at the moment?

From all reports, they will be aroun for a while yet, thick as thieves above fraser 4 weeks ago and working south, on this just gone weekend while we were tring our luck on the goldie there was a comp on out from coloundra, 119 tagged blacks ! from above coloundra to top end of moreton. from what I hear a lot around hutchies and coloundra wide. So gold coast is yet to get the bulk swarm hit it yet so long as the warm current keeps pushing down (i'm guessing this part. ha)

Cant wait to get back out there and have another go,

great week end had by all, some fished well, some drank well, some nearly broke toe's / feet on stumps hidden in grass well :lol:

Great weekend with pretty nice weekend. Richard and I targeted the cobes on Friday at some spots but couldn't get anything but tailor. The bait schools were getting smashed by them and we lost about 8 bait jigs trying to get some bait up.

On Saturday the crew found the bait schools and loaded up on some more livies. After a bit of trolling I hit some more spots but it was pretty quiet. Decided to do some float lining to get something in the box but only got an undersized cod.

post-9503-144598884298_thumb.jpg

On Sunday I decided to just float line and after working out the drifts got a nice load of snapper to get a good feed. Played around with the leader a bit and found the right size stuff to use.

post-9503-14459888431_thumb.jpg

Went over to the boys to see how their doing and gave the leader that worked to Rob so hopefully he got a few to fill his box.

Great to catch up with everyone and meet some new faces and members. Saturday night I found out my trim was stuffed so after a chat with Mick and a mate had some fault finding to do back at the ramp. If anyone else has that problem on a Yami you will find a manual release flat blade screw marked free on the left hand side of the hydraulics. Turn it the direction of arrow and you can manually lift the engine to drop the transport feet. Thanks to mark and Richard for lifting the engine.

Cheers

BJ

Well another succesfull social down the goldie had by all some good fish were brought boat side I had 2 other boats with friends out there on saturday and the both of them got marlin fought all the way to the side of their boats and lost them as they grabbed the leaders. For my crew of Richard, Brock, Keiren and I we donuted on the game fish but managed a good feed of snapper for the weekend.

Saturday night spit roast went down well and finished me off for the night after I tied on a big one all day friday and into the evening then fish all morning saturday. Good to see some new faces on this social and by the sounds of it they should all be back to enjoy more of these socials. Some great footage so far of the weekend sorry I cant contribute as I took no photos as I was to busy enjoying the weekend to much.

Top bunch of blokes again attended the weekend and I have yet to see any trouble on these wanderers socials goes to show the character of the fellas from AFO that attend. If anyone is still thinking should I or not come along to one of our Wanderers socials please do and you wont look back they are a ball of fun and sometimes we catch some fish.

brilliant weekend had, some good fish cought BY ME woooop and others of course

thanks mic for the fish and the hooks. sorry i ate your chips :whistle:

sory BJ if it helps we were sore from laughing to hard while mick was grabbing the pliers :silly:

sorry green machine must have missed you when you droped in will catch up next time.

met some new people nice blokes then used there chiars as firewood thanks fellas :lol:

Archived