Spare Fuel carrying Ideas

daveylad

I just wanted to throw it out there to see the different methods of carrying spare fuel that different members have used or considered. I've looked at flexible bladders but they are exy at $99 for a 20 litre, I'm looking at carrying about an extra75 litres and the petrol filler on my boat is on the outside of the hull on the rear step. One person previously suggeted using steel 60litre drums then disposing of them overboard as they will rust away...ideas please

You would have to make sure you filled them with sea water before letting them go, but thats a lot of fuel to have loose in the boat. (not the easiest thing to tie down). Also one big drum like that could bugger up your trim.

How you going to get the fuel in to your main tanks? Want to be pretty calm if you looking at siphoning or pouring.

Booty I said that someone suggested that, didnt say I was going to do it, I think someone suggested it as steel rusts away and is a benign material in salt water, its the contents that do the damage.

I suppose they are looking at it from the view of the reefs made in the bay where old car wrecks and other metal items were used to make artificial reefs as steel is a benign material in salt water.

/>http://www.eco-pros.com/artificialreefs.htm

/>http://www.nt.gov.au/d/Fisheries/index.cfm?Header=Artificial%20Reefs

i still reckon that the best way is to put in a second tank under the floor and remove a little bit of foam filling

cause it will still make the boat ride right and be out of the road...

out of sight out of mind and just plumb it up to the other tank in series.. or go for the parallel fuel tank option as this would give you a second tank to have need if you require.

as for the bladdeers and extra cans could make the boat run on a heavy bum or a moving problem with the extra fuel in what ever you decide to use...

I'm looking into going out to Fitzroy or a trip up to hervey Bay, Fitzroy is about 70kl out then a fair bit of running around the different reefs, at the moment jerries seem the safest bet then hanging them over the side when stopped but they could be a problem with lines and some of the big reds getting into the ropes. I have a 140 litre tank does with a suzuki DF140.

Other sites some suggetions are Big coke bottles stored then collapsed when used, the bladders are exy at $99 each for 20litres but reusable.

Don't think the Coke bottle idea is a good one. If they would even hold the fuel I'd still love to hear an insurance company response if something went wrong and you told them you had 70 litres of fuel stored in plastic Coke bottles. ROFL

I think Gerry cans are the way to go if you only want a temporary increase in capacity. Stowed together or in pairs down the back when travelling.

not sure about how much head room there is at the helm? but is it possable to get 2 50-60 litre custom ally tanks made that fit infront of each seat on the floor at the helm.The floor level at the helm directly infront of the seats will get raised as the new floor hight will be the top of the tank you now stand on.

I was also thinking that the new tanks would be higher than your under floor fuel tank and doesnt matter that the filler cap is higher , all you would need is clear hose longer enough to get bellow the deck through the filler and it should siphon with the aid of an inline fuel hand pump to get it going.

not sure about how much head room there is at the helm? but is it possable to get 2 40-50 litre custom ally tanks made that fit infront of each seat on the floor at the helm.The floor level at the helm directly infront of the seats will get raised as the new floor hight will be the top of the tank you now stand on.

I was also thinking that the new tanks would be higher than your under floor fuel tank and doesnt matter that the filler cap is higher , all you would need is clear hose longer enough to get bellow the deck through the filler and it should siphon with the aid of an inline fuel hand pump to get it going.

Thanks Mick, I'm going out to speak to the local guys today and ask about the extra tank and have a look at the floor space, good idea with the helm area theres a space under each seat for small cargo such as a small eskie or bag probably near enough to hold 1.5 to 2 jerry cans. but a permenant tank would be better.

Also looked at a cargo bag that 4x4 drivers use on top that I could stow 4 jerry cans on the front of the deck when empty the bag straps onto the rails that are already there and looks to hold a fair bit of gear.

I often carry up to 60L in jerry cans on my boat (5.3m half cab). I carry 2 x 20L in the cabin in the storage area under the middle cushion and 2 x 10L, one each side down the back. This ensures the boat stays balanced and rides well and they are stored "out of the way". when they are empty they are usually placed back where they were when full, or in the cabin during non-sleeping times. I always empty the back ones first as the two up the front have less affect on the ride of the boat as they are centred and down nice and low.

For re-filling, my filler is also on the back step. I fill one jerry can at a time using the spouts they come with standing on the swim ladder while doing it, works a treat in reasonably flat water.

I am also a little appalled to learn that some people just throw steel drums over the side and justify littering by "it'll rust away eventually". That's a bit ordinary.

definatly goint to source the tank ideas between the under seat idea and space under the floor the tank at the moment sits on the floor behind the transom and covered by a table may be able to see it in the pics, someone in the trade should be able to tell if I can replace it for a larger one also

post-7571-144598911181_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave

There is plenty of options available in plastics tanks.They come in a range of shapes and sizes and capacities and generally are far cheaper than custom made alloy or stainless tanks.

You may be able to get a bigger tank in where your tank is now which will allow you to sell the old one off to go towards the cost of a bigger tank for that hole.

let me just add fellers I put this thread up to Brainstorm ideas not for answers that are sarcastic or frivilous, personally if I cant think of anything constructive to add to someones thread I dont say anything,dont mind a bit of humour though :side: ;)

sorry mate i was only havin a joke about the milk bottles :( but anyway i spoke to the boss and we are unable to make fuel bladders as we dont carry the right material and its a bit exy in price to buy a small amount its actualy cheeper to buy the premade ones than to buy the fabric go figure ? sorry i cant help mate

collin

Just wanted to update on the spae fuel thread, After several ideas E-Fishn sea spent some of his time and had a look at the boat and said there was heaps of room for 2 fair size spare tanks to be put unde rthe rear seats, to do it add a shot off tap and a baynote style fitting for the new tanks to draw fuel on the exsiting line.

I went to laguna boating at Noosa and its only $25 for the parts and 1 hours labour to do I can then get whatever size tanks I want and link into the exsiting line before the water filter.

Great to see people in the sites community give up there time and pass on their knowledge

p.s shortie you were spot on too ;)

pretty much what i have done with my extra underfloor tank.

I simpply turn a tap then prime with secondary priming squeeeze bulb.

If you are using premade plastic tanks you wont have to worry about breathers as they are already on the tank. I have to plumb in a breather.

Only disadvantage i can see it its not the ideal place to have the extra weight.

pretty much what i have done with my extra underfloor tank.

I simpply turn a tap then prime with secondary priming squeeeze bulb.

If you are using premade plastic tanks you wont have to worry about breathers as they are already on the tank. I have to plumb in a breather.

Only disadvantage i can see it its not the ideal place to have the extra weight.

What Andy (E-fisn n sea ) suggested is to put them either side of the motor at the back of the boat under seats, looking at the pre made ones too.

Do NOT consider any container that is not designed to carry fuel. Decanting fuel at sea is fraught with danger unless you have correct procedures in place to cover possible spillage /and dispersal of vapor.

Ensure that everything is turned off and all vapor dispersed before turning on again.

It only takes one spark for it all to go bang.

There is no fire brigade at sea.

My view is that a correctly designed under floor tank with changeover switch and internal baffles and breather and external filler is the only safe way to go.

Might cost more but what is your life worth?

Cheers

Ray

Archived