Summer Classic Info

chrislocke

Hi everyone,

Considering the Noosa anglers have a slight advantage in the Summer Classic that’s coming up, I thought I’d do a bit of a report on where the fish have been biting lately, just to even things up a little.

post-8925-144598917676_thumb.png

The above picture is a from Google Earth and I've pretty much cirlced the whole of the "frying pan" which is a shallow series of sand flats that is nice and close to the mouth. This happens to be my favourite spot for whiting and there is normally good numbers hanging off the drop offs. Other species you can expect to catch there include Tailor (especially in the deeper sections), Bream, Flathead and trevally. Surface lures are definitely the go here and long casts covering lots of ground are essential.

post-8925-144598917704_thumb.png

This photo shows both Woods Bay and Noosa Sound. (Woods Bays is the top circle.) These two locations are always a great place to fish for a variety of species such as trevally, tailor, flathead, jacks, tarpon and Bull sharks. As good a spots as these are, they do cop quite a lot of fishing pressure and light line and small 3" softplastics are the way to go. Just quietly, those fish arrow flash J shads go great in there! Romour has it that there are even Barramundi here...

post-8925-144598917729_thumb.jpg

post-8925-144598917735_thumb.jpg

Here's the sort of sized trevally you can expect to catch in woods bay and due to it being relatively snag free, 3lb braid is commonly used.

post-8925-144598917745_thumb.png

Here's a great flathead spot and trolling along the shallows here can produce some moster lizards at times! You can also expect to catch whiting, bream and trevally along this stretch.

post-8925-14459891775_thumb.png

This picture (rather blury..) shows the stretch of water between the two lakes. (lake Corooirbah and lake Cootharabah) For those that havent fished there it really is an awesome place to go and it really looks like your in far north QLD! Expect to catch Mangrove jacks here by casting hardbodied lures at the snags along the edges and trolling over rockbars. Having a sounder does benifit you greatly here. Another species that lives around here is Jew fish. Majority of the jewies you catch here are soapies, (small jew fish) some of the deeper sections are well known to hold bigger fish.

post-8925-144598917781_thumb.png

This is Laguna bay which is just over the Noosa Bar. Tuna and Mackerel frequent here and are often seen in big schools busting up on baitfish.

Hope you learned something from the report! For more info click HERE

For those that are entering this event, the info Chris has just passed on is well worth knowing.

I know a good sized barra was caught and released up there last weekend, in the area Chris has highlighted in the first photo...!

Noosa has a great fishery... and it certainly sounds like it's going to be a great event!

Cheers,

Shorty

P.S. I'm doing everything I possibly can to make it up there for next weekend! Will know early next week if I can make it or not.

Archived