Updating fishfinder combo advice

racingsteve

Hi all

I'm looking at updating, I have a B and W hummingbird Matrix 12 got a external antenna I mostly fish the Moreton bay area and have a old Fibreglass boat.

Im looking at a colour one this time and I like the Hummingbirds and also the GPS is handy at night.

So looking for a combo or if I could run the old GPS as a stand alone on my old H/Bird and have just a fish-finder on the new unit I'm not sure if I could link them somehow?? anyway it looks alot cheaper buying overseas in the US is it worth while buying from there.

Can anyone suggest a unit or where to buy?? I would b looking at spending up to $1000 a colour one possibly combo unit with maps of the east coast. I did c some on gumtree for sale but not real sure about 2nd hand units!! or maybe someone here has one for sale?? as likely u can tell I know nothing about fish finders any help would b great.

Steve

Purchasing o/seas is the cheapest option but research the models. Are you comfortable with imperial measurements? Make certain that they are not geofenced. Some sellers on ebay do sell international models that are either imperial or metric but you will pay extra for these.

Be aware that humminbird and lowrance in AU do not honor overseas warranties and you have to post overseas for repair. You may be better off talking to Aussie 123 to see what he can do for you and you certainly will get good advice and no bull. Another person to contact would be youngy

Cheers

Ray

have a look at the lowrance elite 5 combo unit :) bcf have them on special for $749 every now and then and are a great option if your after a colour fishfinder and gps setup. they come with a current navionics gold card set witch retails for $389 so saving a fortune there. plus they are a great unit for the bay and even light offshore use too.

cheers Hamish

I got a hds 5x from the US,the transducer was faulty, after a Sh#t load of hassle with lowrance US, they replaced the unit and then sent me a tranny,This started in July and finally all fitted early Jan and warranty expires In Feb. You have to pay postage both ways as well. I have wasted so many fishing trips with and without deckies its not true.

Furuno seem the go.

The have had the elite 5 for a couple of years. It has been a great unit but just be aware that the pins on them can be a little fragile. I have been hearing a lot of great things about the Garmin range in the low end market. I would probably have a look at some of them. I think they do a combo in your price bracket. As Ray said give Aussie123 a PM and he will at the very least give you some sound no bull advice.

Archived