Lures On Time Payment Plan.

Dinodadog

Before jackals the dearest lures in the tackle shop [apart from deep sea] was no more than $15. Take a look at the prices these days, I think the jackle has a lot to answer for.

I am seeing lures now of over $30, this is unreal. We as fisher people are becoming to popular, the more people fish the dearer the gear gets,it should be cheaper.

To buy lures soon we will have to take out a loan. I was looking around yesterday and could not beleive some of the prices. I have also noticed the lack of lures in some of the small shops.

Another point that amazes me is that it is not only the USA lures that are dear it's the other overseas countries you would expect to get cheap lures from are also dear.

Fish while you can

Dinodadog

Very good point Dino. One thing I have noticed is that fishing has become the new hobbie of the wealthy, so with more poeple with big bucks coming in, the more the business world will raise the prices! I hope they dont forget those of us who dont fish just because its a popular fad with the chaps down at the country club.

They gotta remember, real fishos will be doing this \"fad\" till the day we die, the other till a new fad comes in!

I hear you Dino, I made a comment a while back that it is very sad that the lure sellers establish a market then up the prices, knowing that us fishers will pay. Then they have the tenacity to whinge when a copy comes in. Case in point are the Classic Barra's now have very close cousin in K Mart for about $10 cheaper. The GVipe and the Jackal is another example.

We might smell like fish but we have a slightly higher IQ so it doesn't take us long to work out we are being ripped off.

How about the price of plastics theses days, are you kidding $9.50 a packet that would cost around $1.20 to produce. Bloody rip offs.:evil:

Say no to greedy tackle merchants.:evil: Or so one says as one heads off to the tackle store. :whistle:

Depends what type of lure you want you can make your own cheap as chips

Slugs for example I use polished stainless tube cut at 45 deg angle / on the end / on the other drill a hole half way down the / eeach end fit split rings to front and back and treble to the rear bingo ;)

The water bubbles through the tube it's shiney and will work as good if not better than a bought one

Poppers are easy to make ask and I will explain how ;)

Gaz

I am of two frames of mind here. While i dont want to pay excessive $'s for gear, no one is making me do it either.

I recognise that some of those expensive lures also do have pretty well researched technology, such as casting counter weights etc. Im not saying this validates $30 per lure. Also bare in mind its not only manufacturing lure companies pay for, its marketing in foreign countries, import duties, importing itself, sponsorships etc. Thats the price you oay for buying good quality overseas lures.

If you shop around on Online shops and bargain bins there will always be a cheaper option.

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/09/08 13:37

If your going to make poppers out of balsa wood, you will need the wire that connects the hooks and line to be one piece all the way through the lure. An easier way is to get a cheap wood lathe. Shop around and you could get a lathe and chisels (you need special chisels) for $150-170. Then use it to turn spare bits of pine or other strong woods and you use araldyte to glue the wire into the lure. Easy enough with practise.

And speaking of expensive lures. This one is a half HB, half SP lure and is $69 from MOTackle. http://motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=1043 Imagine using it and then a big Mackeral or Wahoo chewing it to bits:cheer:

I use broom handles or dowel and shape it with a sanding disc on a 4\"angle grinder then cut a slot in the belly side with a hack saw with 2 blades next step is the hook attachment I use stainless filler wire twist a loop in the front come half way down and form a u shape and at the end twist another loop place this is the slot u shape down and glue with aryldite let it set over night

and paint it when you want

BTW I found for surface feeders white or silver under belly and blue upper work well ;)

As long as paint is set, should be ok. Avoids enamels which take a long time to setup.

Ferg has air brushes and all sorts of stuff for painting his. Justr a bit of white gloss for the base coat, and a couple of highlight colours should do the job.

If you dont have some paint lying around get a couple of \"tester\" pots, they are cheap and would do a heap of lures.

Archived