4 Bass on surface = 2.00 Metres

PlasticFantastic

Thought i'd put up a post from my trip yesterday even though it was in the fresh and most likely pretty boring to the salt guys ;) Headed out with Flash1980 to fish an area we had fished the week before and with it showing signs of promise with numbers but no size we headed back yesterday to try and find the bigger fish.

Forecast was for rain but in the fresh who really cares if you get wet and wet we got within the first 10 minutes we were wet through but it wasn't cold so we kept fishing. Plan was to troll around find the fish and then work the area casting different lures around. Found plenty of willing rat Bass and in some spots you couldn't go more than a few metres without hooking another one. I think in total we caught about 25 fish each doing this biggest wouldn't even be 30cm though. We were both lucky enough to pick up a 52cm fish each casting in two different locations to make the morning more interesting and a quick weight taken of one came in at 2.5kg so nice fat well conditioned fish.

1pm rolled around and we were heading back and i dont know whose idea it was but we decided to stay for the arvo/evening session, good idea in the end though. The afternoons plan was to try for top water and all i was expecting were some smaller rats harassing you're lure until it hooked itself. Flash1980 had never thrown topwater for Bass and my experience was limited but i do know they like to have a good crack at it. Choose our location for the arvo and both armed with bubble pops we cast around the area to see what was stirring. Flash1980 was up first with what i can only describe as a hit that would make a Barra look tame, it missed the hooks but the explosion of water was like a fat kid jumping in a pool. I think he compared it to Gt fishing offshore and was left shaking afterwards. So we kept at it casting around until Flash1980 managed to hook one and land a surface pb of 52cm. I followed suit soon after with the same size and this thing had four good goes at it flicking the popper a foot in the air before finally getting hooked. Awesome fun, we both managed another each for a total of four Bass on poppers going just over 2.00m total length and probably close to 10kg. We missed a few and the best part was spotting a big boil then casting at it to see it explode on to it instantly but most times missing the hooks. Was hard work keeping them out of the weeds to as a little gardening was required at times to get the fish out. We ended up with three fish over 50cm each and a heap of rats and a also got a nice fat Yella.

Offshore and the salt can be fun but so can the fresh with sessions like these.

post-5191-144598921629_thumb.jpg

Flash1980's first and pb surface Bass

post-5191-144598921644_thumb.jpg

My pb surface Bass

post-5191-144598921823_thumb.jpg

One i caught earlier in the day on a Maria

Nice pictures and fish guys!

Not to be a nark but you realize you are wearing the Fish Head saltwater shirts not the Freshwater ones :P

Angus

Would be good if we could get out hands on new afo shirts, both fresh and salt water models!

good things come to thoese who wait!

Archived