Offshore Variety 18/4

sehrguht

Set out yesterday morning heading out off Point Lookout for my first offshore day for the year.

Bar was easy just a couple on the outer bank that were easily avoided. Then in another 5mins we started loading up on yakkas, pilchards and slimies. A couple drifts around the bait grounds and we had a well stocked tank.

Pushed up to boat rock and found a gentle patch of current just enough to excite some fish and dropped the pick.

About 5mins later once the livies were deployed I drop a fresh pilchard down and get smacked by a little snapper. This continues for a while with 5 snapper being caught in the first hour or so of being anchored.

Action slows a little bit so we let some more anchor line go. Shortly after that I hooked up to a pretty solid fish and after a good little tussle bring up a 60cm spangled, a first and PB for me.

post-5575-144598942114_thumb.jpg

Lance perservered and pulled up a nice sized parrot

Somewhere in there we had a livie go off and it was all go hoping for a spanish only to get it in and realise its a yellowfin. Not a bad fish but not what we were hoping for.

It went a bit slow during the middle of the tide with only one or two more fish put in the box but then on the next tide change moses perch went nuts and started destroying everything you would put down. ended up with 14 of them in about an hour and multiple were grabbed off our lines by bigger critters.

It was pretty late by then so we pulled up and headed home for a solid filleting and cleaning session.

post-5575-144598942125_thumb.jpg

post-5575-144598942135_thumb.jpg

post-5575-144598942141_thumb.jpg

Thanks for writing up the report Jeremy.

It was great to catch up again and have a fish together.

We had a great day yesterday with some nice fish caught by the end of the day.

It was very tough going with only 2 short bite periods for the whole day which both coincided with the tide changes.

We did manage to nail a few fish each change with the better session being the arvo tide change with 14 Moses Perch,a small cod and some small snapper hitting the decks in under an hour.

We missed a number of good fish as well including one I battled for a while on my new unstoppable outfit although it didn't stop him in the end,lol

I though finally I was going to get one of these brutes out to see what they are but he went under the boat on me and trying to keep the line off the hull he eventually got a little too much line off me and he eventually found the bottom.

It was a real battle with about 15kg of drag and at one stage I was struggling to hang on but I was determined to break this fish.

Next time they get max drag and seeing how the outfit performed yesterday I am quietly confident its just a matter of time before one of these unstoppables will hit the decks.

We seen a small tinny near us boat a nice sailfish as well so it is good to see they are around now.

Thanks guys for another enjoyable day on the briney.

How frustrating are the unstoppables lance.

I had 2 last trip i was out there month ago. I thought i had him on the saltiga with 100lb leader but it turned its head. I reckon they big cod or kingies.

I have nearly saved up for the new 30k stella lol. Going to run pe10 on it 200lb leader on a jigging master stick.

Hopefully than i can stop one of then

They are a so frustrating Shane it's not funny,lol

My biggest problem has been the braid knots cutting the mono trace off under extreme drag settings.

Cos of this I have been fishing lighter drags which allows them to find the reef on me but yesterday my knots held in there which got me damn close to getting one in the boat.

I am real keen now to up the drag setting to max and just hang on and see what happens.

It will be one hell of a battle but bring it on,lol

It was good to see you out there boys... we had a great day and as far as those unstoppables go, they are very hard core.

I had one on yesterday and had his head turned and got him up of the bottom but god they have some pulling power. I had my outfit nearly locked up and he was still taking line.

Had a leader failure in the end and was really pissed i didn't get to see what is was.

I've caught 35kg+ Cobia that didn't pull as hard as that thing.

But at the end of the day it's all about getting out on the water with your mates.

Well done boys and congrats on you PB Jeremy

Few mates that dive there have sighted grouper.

This was a very different fight than a Grouper Eug but if it didn't run so hard i would probably agree with you, they are probably just monster resident local Kingy, AJ's or GT's but in 45 meters of water it was more than likely a Kingy or a GT rather than a AJ

The diferent schools of big fish come and go depending on whats there for the day we have had plenty of unstopables that are either kingies , cobia, GTs and cod every now and again we get 1 up amongst all the bust off's for the day which is good to know whats is doing the damage that place is very narly structure and its easy for them to reef you if your already got plenty of line out on an angle

Archived