Double Island Point

daveylad

I'll post the shots and hopefully Dhess and Crazywalruss will do the story. It was a quick trip up to Double Island Point about 60 Kilometres away from Noosa Bar.

post-7571-144598983094_thumb.jpg

post-7571-144598983101_thumb.jpg

post-7571-144598983105_thumb.jpg

It was a great day for it a good feed and good company will have to return to there again soon or leave from Tin Can Bay depending on how the bar behaves.

Ok was hoping Ted was going to do the write up but here goes....

Drove up to Noosaville with Ted and met Dave at the ramp just after 5am. It took a while to get to the bar as we had to dodge a few sand banks that were not there last time. Its ridiculous how shallow that river is. The bar was flat as a pancake and crossed at full throttle with not even a ripple present.

We had a relatively easy trip out to about 25km east of DI. Bit of chop whipped up by 12-15knot SWer. But on our tail so not too bumpy at all. Soon after the arriving, the wind dropped out to nothing and remained glorious for the remainder of the trip.

Sounded around for a bit and eventually found some ground worth fishing in around 60m of water. For quite a while we were plagued by undersized tuskies, cod and lancers. Just as we were getting disheartened and I had a beer in hand and muesli bar in the other my bait got smacked on the drop. After a short tussle up came the knobbie. Explored the general area to find some better shows where we pulled the remainder of the fish. Pretty slow going though. Oddly enough not a single pearl perch (usually catch some really good ones in the general area), no juvenile reds either. (Usually they are off DI in plague proportions).

We were running a bit low in fuel and time so decided to head in closer to DI to find some new ground. Didn't find anything overly promising so headed back in. We drove through acre upon acre of whitebait, with not a single predator spotted. :huh:

Big thanks to Dave for the trip out. We will have to get back up there and do some more exploring.

The main point of the trip was to see if it was viable to use Noosa as a staging point to fish off DI. I think if there is only a light SW to NWer blowing it is more than worthwhile as:

- Over an hour shorter trip from Brisbane

- If it blows up from the west it is an easy run hugging the beach

- You eliminate crossing wide bay bar which can be pretty hairy at times

- Its a fairly long run from Tin Can Bay or Carlo point to the bar. (Around 15km)

Its a pretty good option if you want to have a very real chance of catching red emperor in a single day trip.

Archived