Tungsten jigheads

SJS

Environmetally tungsten would be a better choice as lead is very toxic, that's not to say tungsten hasn't got its own problems.

The big problem is going to be if you are working the metals yourself. Tungsten has a lot higher melt point than lead so moulding probably isn't going to be a back yard option.

If you are buying it commercially price becomes the consideration. I have no idea there. Being heavier than lead same size jig heads would be smaller so sink rates should be slightly faster. Which should allow for a slightly lighter head to give the same sink rate I would think. A difficult one to try and get them to a orange to orange comparison scenario :unsure: For mine if the price difference was marginal tungsten would be the better choice on what I know.

I used to buy jigs with what I think was beryllium heads from the states before SEQ water took over Baroon pocket, as lead was banned from the dam.

They were lighter, and only available in small sizes, to small for bass really, so probably good size for flies. Price was ok as well.

I used to buy jigs with what I think was beryllium heads from the states before SEQ water took over Baroon pocket, as lead was banned from the dam.

They were lighter, and only available in small sizes, to small for bass really, so probably good size for flies. Price was ok as well.

Would have been bismuth as berylium is significantly lighter than even aluminium and is highly toxic.

Tungsten costs a fortune. Lead is only really dangerous to water birds which can mistake split shot sized sinkers for food. Its an issue in freshwater but not in the ocean.

Archived