Aussie Day FamGlamCamYakBass, 25th-27 th January

Ash

Hello,

Went to Kenilworth Homestead with my wife and little girl and my Mate Nic, his wife and little boy.

Kenilworth Homestead is an awesome place. Absolutly stunning views of surrouinding ranges, bordered by the Mary River, it also has toilets and showers. I high light that last part as this was a "tester" weekend for Nic and his wife, as it was the first time they have taken their little boy (18 months) camping.

Caming site good, facilities good, views good, access to water awesome.go there, its great. Thats my camp site review done.

Fishing part:

Early Sunday morn, my alarm went off. I was hung over, so pressed snoozed. Couldnt hear nic awake, figured he was still asleep, bugger it Im going back to sleep. but then, the sound i dreaded. nics tent zip opening.

Couragiously I managed to roll off the inflatable. Smash down a quick coffee, and we headed to the river. Yaks down, gear ready, I thought I heard my friend "Ralph" behind some bushes, so went over and called out his name for about 10 minutes. "Ralph" gone, jumped on the yaks and started to paddle....for about 5 meters. Then it got very shallow. Time to walk the yaks! Yay said hung over Ash! Turns out, alot of the Mary River is quick shallow around where we were. Anyway, a few paddles and lots of walking later, we hit a nice hole. I started flciking my little Yowie around some bassy looking snags, and on about the 5th cast, I was on!.....to a turtle. Little bugger had a real go at the lure, took a while to work it free, but got there in the end.

Drifted down to a deeper part of the hole. Started throwing lures agains a little cliff face, thinking might interest a Yella, but nothing. Looked like there was some structure a bit deeper and away from the cliff, starting casting out, second cast and WHAM, it was on like the donkey of kong.

Hearing me squel like an excited pig and seeing my rod bend like a russian gymnist, Nic headed over and started to snap some pics. After a nice struggle, I was introduced to my very first fresh Water Cod, of the Mary River kind. A few very quick pics later, I said good bye and she or he was swimming back to some hidden snag.

Best bycatch ever. I was so excited that my old friend "Ralph" was heard again shortly after, this time somewhere on the river bank.

Nothing else fishing wise really happened after that. More amazing scenery, more walking the yaks. there was more walking of the yaks then there was paddling.

Headed back with no more hits, taps or turtles.

Massive thanks to Nic for getting me up that morning, cant believe I nearly let a hang over stop me from fishing.

The End

Cheers,

Ash

Archived