Help with buying second hand boat

reelchippy

mate the main thing i would say is check the motor thuroly, get them to start it and run it for a few minutes, thats one problem we had with an old centre console we bought a few years back, he started it and then turned it straight off, we bought it got it home and it would start and run for a few minutes then stop and eventually wouldnt start at all and turned out the fuel hose had fallen off the tank and we had to cut the back inside of the boat out to repair it and was atleast a month or two from the time of purchase to getting it to the water.

also a thruro inspection of the hull and trailer looking for any rust on the trailer and determining whether it is just surface rust or if its rusted straight through. check the hull for dent or holes. also be sure to check the brakes and bearings on the trailer.

probly plenty of other stuff people could name but thats just what i've got off the top of my head

thanks, reef_raider

jake

Honestly, on any boat other than a tinnie under 4metres, I would get a professional inspection. It will cost you around $200 but is worth every penny. 200 is nothing when comes time to replace the stringers or the Transom, Or have to rebuild and old motor. What kind of budget and what kind of boat were you looking for?

Ok honestly i would go alluminium for fresh water because its so much easier to launch and some of those crappy roads eg. lenthalls could do some real damage.

Do you or will you need protection from the elements and rain?(Cuddy Cabin)

Is this a fishing only boat with no need for protection? (Centre or Side Console)

Is this just a Basic Run Around? (Open Boat)

If it is just to mud and things i would go atleast 14ft, Trust me, you do feel alot safer in a bigger boat when your in 25knt winds.

Whats your budget? We might be able to tell you what u can get for that money.

Heres a another thanks for this

/>http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250172751247&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

/>http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250171661760&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

/>http://www.tradingpost.com.au/AdDetails/AdDetails.aspx?SourceMyTP=Buying&adnumber=6654025

HMM Dont buy off ebay unless you can inspect it.

Personally i think its underpowered with a 70hp. The thing most people get stuck with is buying to old and to well crap. Your better off going for a smaller 14-15ft boat that has a newer engine and better looked after boat. The motor on that haines is around 1980 maybe earlier. That swift craft has a 70's motor. I would go back to those smaller ones with better motors. I like that Sportsman craft the best.

Also im no expert but with the drought wouldnt most freshwaters have shitted ramps and u need to launch off the ground pretty much. A big fibreglass boat might struggle. Also you couldn't put an electric on those bigger boats but you could on the smaller ones. 54lb on the Transom for the Sportsman Craft. Some dams also dont allow big motors eg. 4hp and under.

Fisher_90 wrote:

HMM Dont buy off ebay unless you can inspect it.

Personally i think its underpowered with a 70hp. The thing most people get stuck with is buying to old and to well crap. Your better off going for a smaller 14-15ft boat that has a newer engine and better looked after boat. The motor on that haines is around 1980 maybe earlier. That swift craft has a 70's motor. I would go back to those smaller ones with better motors. I like that Sportsman craft the best.

Also im no expert but with the drought wouldnt most freshwaters have shitted ramps and u need to launch off the ground pretty much. A big fibreglass boat might struggle. Also you couldn't put an electric on those bigger boats but you could on the smaller ones. 54lb on the Transom for the Sportsman Craft. Some dams also dont allow big motors eg. 4hp and under.

Thanks fisher

the best fishing boats in that size are open with a flat floor and a couple of hatches to store gear, a small 4 stroke engine around 20 and a couple of pedestal seats and you have a fishing machine, generally oldish tinnies are quiet easy to \"fix up \" especially if you have trade skills and the odd mate.

Man i have done u wrong. The boat with the new motor is the Cruise Craft not the sportsman craft. The sportsman craft is more expensive and has an older motor but the boat is better. The cruise craft is a newer motor but the boat isnt as good. It is cheaper though. The trailer on the cruisecraft isn't that great and thats what is overlooked on most secondhand boats.

You can buy mine when I get back from awoonga if you want it. Near new motor (4str, warrenty) near new trailer, excellent hull, new colour sounder, new 3 way winch and a few other things.

Point is: it is a sound realable boat that will last for ages and you need spend nothing on it. It is safe for kids as it has high sides and yet it i svery fishable. Perfect for Moreton Bay, Rivers and big Dams (like Sommerset and awoonga).

Not sure if I should block up this thread too much but in short I am going to finish my tinny to a complete Barra Bass River boat and I'll get a larger boat for going outside complete with extended stay capability.

As to how much - I don't know about $15k would be a good price to the AFO buyer, but if I sell off site I will ask about $20k and negioate but I'll have to review the market price at the time. With the Aust $$ being so strong the yankie imports are driving prices down.

Archived