Installing navigation lights

samsteele115

Hey guys,

Just in the process of putting lights on my tinny for a bit of night fishing.

I read the following PDF and I believe this is the correct way of installing the lights going by what is written here.

/>http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/msqinternet/msqfiles/home/safety/navigation%20lights/pdf_nmsc_brochure_tips_installing_nav_lights.pdf

However upon further research which lead me to threads on other forums I discovered that apparently the anchor light needs to be in the centre line of the boat?

This is not stated by msq in fact it mentions that it is quite ok to position the anchor light to one side of the vessel.

post-11925-144599030132_thumb.jpg

This is how I have set them up. The anchor light is screwed in but the port/starboard isn't yet until I know for sure if it is in the correct position. The base of the port/starboard lights are positioned parallel to the centre line of the boat before it tapers towards the bow.

All lights are in working order with the batteries so won't need help there.

Some advice or assurance that this is correct/incorrect would be much appreciated.

Sam

post-11925-144599030147_thumb.jpg

Hi Sam

As far as I'm aware it does not have to be in centre line of boat. It does has to to be visible 360 degrees with no obstructions.

My boat and many others have them installed on side gunnel or stern. Would not think a retailer could sell it if it doesn't meet regulations.

Getting ready for crabbing hey?

Hi Sam

As far as I'm aware it does not have to be in centre line of boat. It does has to to be visible 360 degrees with no obstructions.

My boat and many others have them installed on side gunnel or stern. Would not think a retailer could sell it if it doesn't meet regulations.

Sure am. Thanks Wayne.

i'd be looking to mount the port/starboard lights further forward. As far forward along the flat bit as possible. They need to both be visible dead on (but not overlap) and visible through a 135 degree arc front the centre line at the front. I doubt they would be visible dead on where they are. All round white is fine where it is as long as it is visible at all times with no obstructions (including from you when you are standing up). Get a telescopic one if you are in any doubt. Make sure you put them on two seperate switches as you only need the port/starboard lights when underway, all round white on at all times at night.

Another option would be to mount the port starboard lights on top of the covered bit at the front on the outside, making sure they are mounted parallel to the sides of the boat, not following the curve.

No. They aren't visible looking straight on. Well picked up.

I was thinking of putting them right at the front however I'm not sure how to mount them as they are vertical fitted lights on a horizontal surface. The surface is also rounded and not flat. Could always just hold them there with blutack. That way I can remove them when not in use which would be handy.

The red/green and anchor lights are connected to different batteries for that reason

The Red/Green are good where you have placed them on the bow but straighten them up.

They must be visible 112.5 degrees from straight on to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on each side, not 135 as mentioned above.

135 degrees is a white stern light.

The 360 degree all round white light must be 1m higher than the red/green nav lights and higher than any superstructure on the vessel.

As for location, the rules state on the center line or as close as practical.

The Colregs also state that you are allowed an obstruction of the 360 degree light of no more than 6 degrees of arc.

Hi Sam

Don't be too sure about the retailers. My sea jay came brand new with lights that didn't meet the law. The locating plates welded into the grab rails followed the curve of the bow, so we're not at the right angle. A case of buyer beware because you will get the fine not the retailer or the manufacturer. Later models have fixed the problem.

Hi Sam

Don't be too sure about the retailers. My sea jay came brand new with lights that didn't meet the law. The locating plates welded into the grab rails followed the curve of the bow, so we're not at the right angle. A case of buyer beware because you will get the fine not the retailer or the manufacturer. Later models have fixed the problem.

I believe it's wrong to sell you something that does not meet the regulations and placing the onus on a new buyer. The retailers that make a living out of it should be accountable and sort it out with the manufacturer's before sale. The buyer is being guided buy so called experts. There are many inconsistent laws this is just another one IMO. Rant over.

The Red/Green are good where you have placed them on the bow but straighten them up.

The reason I had them positioned on an angle on the bow is because it seemed to me that the light was visible from the other side of the boat due to the way the black plastic casing is designed. So I positioned them in a way where the light wouldn't cross over. It makes sense to make sure the base of the light is parallel to the centre line however when the light is positioned like that it is visible from the other side of the boat. You can see what I mean if you zoom in on the photo. The front of the light is parallel to the centre line which puts the whole thing on that angle. I'm confused as to why it is designed like that. I'm just a bit confused in general!

The lights are designed to be mounted onto a backing plate like the boat itself or something like a piece of angle or flat plate.

You are supposed to see both lights from head on and as you pass to one side of a boat one light disappears and the other opens right up.

The way you have them sitting there is very wrong and illegal.

That setup will show red and green to a vessel crossing your stern when they should be seeing nothing but your 360 white.

They must be visible 112.5 degrees from straight on to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on each side, not 135 as mentioned above.

135 degrees is a white stern light.

The 360 degree all round white light must be 1m higher than the red/green nav lights and higher than any superstructure on the vessel.

As for location, the rules state on the center line or as close as practical.

The Colregs also state that you are allowed an obstruction of the 360 degree light of no more than 6 degrees of arc.

after checking the website on this for my own information it is not the 135 degree arc I initially suggested, from dead on it is a 112.5 degree arc only... My apologies for the oversight, I have given myself a swift uppercut and can only beseech your forgiveness...

May the fishing god have mercy on your soul if it goes as far as 114 degrees... :P

post-2244-144599030341_thumb.jpg

Archived