New Dams Prposal for SE Qld

wallyfly

How about the item in the Courier Mail this morning, the future of fresh water fishing in SE Qld will expand greatly. The list of possible expansions and increased number of big puddles promises to make our part of the world a haven for fisho's wouldn't you say? Tight lines. IM :cheer: :PB)

Only if people are willing to put in the hard work and volunteer their own time to organise a stocking group to service these dams

They cannot get any interest from existing stocking groups to take on the recent waters that SEQ water have made available for fishing.

Stocking groups are shrinking due to lack of government support and funding.

"Mr Newman said if the Government did go ahead, the work would be funded either from the proceeds of asset sales, increased taxes or by cuts to existing services. "

How about reducing ministerial salaries?

Sounds like an election coming up soon and the flying pigs have been released.

How long did it take for the Redcliffe rail link to actually happen?

Cheers

Ray

How about the item in the Courier Mail this morning, the future of fresh water fishing in SE Qld will expand greatly. The list of possible expansions and increased number of big puddles promises to make our part of the world a haven for fisho's wouldn't you say? Tight lines. IM :cheer: :PB)

I'm not so enthusiastic.

(a) Do we really need another dam filled with Bass? One dam's not that much different to another when it comes to variety of fishing, and we already have a few dams to choose from to fish in our local area.

(B) Do we really want to destroy more natural river ecosystems by damming them? We all should know what damming does to the fish that live in the river naturally - it pretty much wipes them out, so the only fish will be those that are stocked, and pests. And it kills the river for everyone and everything downstream of the dam.

© River fishing is way more fun in my opinion. I don't want to see rivers like the Stanley and the Albert drowned so the only way I can find a fish is to troll or drop a shrimp over the side of a boat. There's plenty of places I can do that already if I want.

(d) I understand that some of the rivers I fish are stocked from dams, but what's stopping us from stocking rivers and not just dams? If we need more water, how about everyone getting a decent sized water tank on their house? Every drop I use comes from my roof, no town water to my house.

-Steve.

Not getting any hopes up

In all reality will be probably dead before they need to build another dam.

The other primary reason they should be building dams is drought prep.

And what happens to the river (and everything that relies on it) downstream of a dam in a drought?

I'd rather see JP's stocked when they can reliably supply fingerlings, at least they are native to the Brissy, by the sounds of it there will never be enough water in any new dam to create a decent fishery anyway.

Ant

update on jp breeding program at Bribie research station .

Fingerlings are now in grow out ponds so this will ensure that future funding will be available.

Once they have documented and stabilized the procedure the next step is to make it available to commercial hatcheries so we can look forward to JPs being available for stocking.

If stocking groups wish to establish them in inpoundments they will have to get licenses to stock them. Do not know how they will mix with bass.

Cheers

Ray

Forgive me for my ignorance, but JP =Jungle perch?

Not overly supportive of another dam either, people need to start learning to conserve water, and install rainwater tanks. I've seen first hand the difference between how country people use water and how city people (not all, but alot) use it...some people's attitudes need a change

Its dry, same as it is if the dam isn't there.

I understand the apparent benefits of building dams, but if some folks aren't aware of the short and long term effects/impact of dam building, and/or if you care, please read this link:

/>http://www.internationalrivers.org/environmental-impacts-of-dams

Let's not continue to be unaware and/or apathetic like our fathers, grandfathers, and great grandfathers were. Otherwise the only fish our grandchildren will catch in the future will be those artificially stocked in dams.

-Steve.

The new dams are proposed for flood mitigation, not drinking water.

If they dam the Bremmer they will need to cater for migratory dish, (Properly) the other dams dont matter, those rivers are already dammed.

But they now build fishladders on all new dams.

Doesnt matter that they may only be one way or not even work at all.

Cheers

Ray

I'd rather see JP's stocked when they can reliably supply fingerlings, at least they are native to the Brissy, by the sounds of it there will never be enough water in any new dam to create a decent fishery anyway.

Ant

update on jp breeding program at Bribie research station .

Fingerlings are now in grow out ponds so this will ensure that future funding will be available.

Once they have documented and stabilized the procedure the next step is to make it available to commercial hatcheries so we can look forward to JPs being available for stocking.

If stocking groups wish to establish them in inpoundments they will have to get licenses to stock them. Do not know how they will mix with bass.

Cheers

Ray

How recent is that update Ray ?

Archived