Costly Sunday

Luvit

I took the kids out yesterday to see if we could locate a Long tail or 2 and possibly see some whales. We started heading down Bribie Island but saw nothing so I moved out to wild banks keeping our eyes out for any signs of surface fish activity. We saw nothing all the way out there except for the 5 boats when we arrived. Most were fishing baits and we tried half a dozen drifts with lures but no hits. We coped a couple of waves over the front as the wind got up so I made the call to head to Caloundra. Saw nothing again on the surface but I did pick up some good bait schools and decided to drop some lures and see if they were interested in bitting.

I dropped down a heavier out fit with a lucanus jig with 60lb braid on a Japanese made twinpower 6000 and a shimano nexave rod. As the spot lock on the minn koto took position I went to the rear of the boat and unfortunately with the swell and me being not as steady as use to be I lost balance. As I tripped over I fell towards the side and to stop myself from going over board I dropped the rod and reel. The sinking feeling when you see a combo disappear is not nice. It was a special reel because the wife and kids had put money towards for a fathers day present many years ago. The reel accounted for many nice kingfish off Montague Island and the carbon drag washers I had ordered for it should arrive this week to rub salt into the wound. :(

I tried casting for it for 30 minutes with a bomb sinker and 3 sets of trebles attached but no joy.

We continued to Caloundra and we still didn't see any surface action, then all the way to south tip of Bribie. By this stage the wind had dropped right off and we headed over to Moreton Island. we did finally see some surface action but unfortunately when we arrived it was only dolphins. We threw some plastics to see if there were any tuna hanging deep but no joy. We continued on saw some turtles and more dolphins. I was going to head around the cape to see the whales but the whitecaps said no you won't. Limited by the petrol I had left we did a big a loop around back to Bribie ramp.

We would not have fished for more than 2 hrs the whole day with the rest spent travelling looking for the tuna. That's tuna fishing and I can't complain we were due for an average day.

It was only the reel that put a dampener on it for me, so I will see what I can sell to replace the old girl.

Time to start setting up for the Mackerel season. :)

Oh well, I'm not a strong swimmer and I was not about to jump overboard.

I've lost 4 outfits over board in my fishing career.

1/ Forgot o put a landyard back on a trolling rod that got hit and the rod holder smashed and bye,bye combo over the continental shelf.

2/ James though I hadn't put the rod in the racks properly and readjusted it and splash in it goes. Called that one stradic reef. I had placed it in the rack a different way because it had a short but and I didn't want it falling out!

3/ Another I just knocked out of the rack when trying to hook a fish.

4/ And now this one.

It'll be good to get the kids onto some Mackerel soon then. :) Thanks.

Nothing worse when you loose an old favorite like that.

This next moon should see the first of the mackeral turn up if conditions are right so keep an eye out for them.

This early Lance? Or these the last of the big girls heading North? I've been hearing from some spearo's that the big ones are always around, any truth to this?

As I said yesterday Wayne, I feel so sorry for you. It's definitely the worst feeling watching a rod and reel sink under the water. And then you start to think after "I should have jumped in after it!" :(. The unfortunate thing is that it could be anywhere now due to tides etc even though you got the GPS mark. The good thing about losing one in a dam is that Dino is there to catch it for you a week later :P

James

Bugger !

Did you get the footage on your Go-pro ? Always funny to see someone fall over :P (hope it's not too early for humour :unsure: )

I got dragged over board setting up a shore anchor at the hut Friday. I should of listened to all the boys that I shouldn't have asked Ezy for help. Same problem, no one caught it on stills or video.

Bugger !

Did you get the footage on your Go-pro ? Always funny to see someone fall over :P (hope it's not too early for humour :unsure: )

Ahhhh you see Brian, Wayne has a track record of falling over in boats. I have a recording from a previous session.... Could be revenge for a previous 'pink slipper' saga? :whistle:

I'm pretty sure this was before you guys joined up, but Ted and I went on an "Aqua-planking" trip when planking was all the rage. Ted's first plank failed. I didn't get the drop-in footage but I did record the aftermath (in July on a cold windy day).

/>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNQXArw4Wc8&list=UUyPQQ_DRHF5gP8b7EEYStKQ

Archived