Noosa Council Pushes for Netting Ban

Gad

Taken from Fishing World email newsletter

23 Oct 2014

THE popular coastal town of Noosa on Queensland's Sunshine Coast could become largely free of commercial netting, following a push by the local shire council.

The ABC has reported that the Noosa council wants the Queensland Government to ban commercial fishing on the town's north shore due to its impact on the local fishery.

The council has lodged a submission to the Queensland Fisheries Management Review, urging the Government to buy back existing licences and to not reissue any existing licences due to expire.

The Noosa council is reportedly worried about the long-term protection of the fishery and the impact commercial fishing is having on its sustainability.

It said there was a strong perception the north shore was being overfished by commercial operators and anecdotal evidence supported this.

Council is also worried about the impact on tourism and it wants recreational fishing havens established, similar to New South Wales.

/>http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-21/noosa-council-urges-north-shore-commercial-fishing/5829286

really?

Very surprised, i thought the new Noosa council was a very deep shade of green and most unlikley to do anything to support recreational fishing..

the cynic in me thinks recreational fishing is just an excuse for the first part of their campaign, once they get rid of the commercial fishing, quite likely to go on to ask for it to be declared green zone.

Would be a silly silly move tourism wise, I for one know during my younger brothers school holidays they spend nearly all day every day cruising around in the tinnie chasing fish. Would have quite and impact on tourism I'd imagine, if it was declared a green zone I wouldn't be making the trip up there for holidays and weekends anymore, and I'm sure alot of Australian families would share a similar sentiment.

Who knows though, if they are as you say a deep shade of green then it's not often that logic will come into it

I was up there last weekend. I notice the pros live in a million dollar property on the Noosa north shore just across from Tewantin. Surely they don't need the money and would be happy to give up their license? Then again maybe they have the ultimate gig and wouldn't give it up for the world.

Archived