I'm a spastic

max pwr

Well I've had my new second hand boat for a few months now and I seem to be subconciously trying to destroy it.

Second time out I pulled it out of the water with the motor trimmed all the way down.......two bent blades on the prop and buggered my prop seal = $400 :(

Worst thing is that about 20 people watched me dragging the skeg along the ground all the way to the rigging bay B)

Moron

Yesterday I was reversing my boat up the driveway when I got home and I have a chock to let me know when to stop.....well somehow the tyre spun the chock out of the way and I reversed the prop right into the side of the garage and bent the garage door frame pretty good. Luckily the prop doesnt even have a mark this time other than a tiny bit of paint from the garage door and I ran it in gear, no oil leak and prop is spinning straight.

Such a bloody idiot.

Hahaha I can definitely relate to this! :silly:

Having to fork out $400 doesn't sound like fun. Bugger.

$440 spent on parts so far with one more part left to track down... :) Next is pwerhead removal and replacement of all the broken parts. Reports to follow once I start the "fun" work.

I believe it shows character when you can fess up when you do stupid things. I'm still get ribbed by the kids for things I've done over the years.

Look on the bright the side, anyone that has never made a mistake, has never done anything. We learn and move on, sometimes. :unsure:

I believe it shows character when you can fess up when you do stupid things. I'm still get ribbed by the kids for things I've done over the years.

Look on the bright the side, anyone that has never made a mistake, has never done anything. We learn and move on, sometimes. :unsure:

Mistake I made fishing yesterday was taking the wrong turn going past Peel on the way to the bar, then when I got to the end of spitfire channel ending up in the sand with baby waves breaking around me. Boy was it a dark morning Sunday. Sand is good for the prop though, keeps that polished look there. :)

Next time I plan more ahead and have the route plotted on my GPS then the autopilot can do all the work.

You know whats worse, Things come in threes.......... So go find the biggest piece of wood and touch it.

I'm sure we've all had our fair share. My prop on my outboard used to be all white

I remember doing a complete rebuild on my motor bike from a seized big end bearing. I mustn't of put the cir-clip back on the Gudgeon pin correctly. So next ride BANG!

Lest the second time, the rebuild didn't take that long.

$440 spent on parts so far with one more part left to track down... :) Next is pwerhead removal and replacement of all the broken parts. Reports to follow once I start the "fun" work.

Wow. I'd be interested to know how much damage I really did that I couldn't see. looking forward to your post

Wow. I'd be interested to know how much damage I really did that I couldn't see. looking forward to your post

Here is the list so far:

- Mid section (Cracked)

- Clamp section (Cracked)

- Gear lever, bent to a right angle

- Tiller handle mount (Cracked)

The engine was also missing the 2 anodes that were meant to be on it, so the mid section was starting to "bubble" already and the clamp section was also missing it's anode and was starting to "bubble".

Hey Wayne, remember that time last Sunday when we got out to Cape Moreton and you realised you forgot to screw the bung in properly after noticing all the water we had taken on board?

Then I had to hold your ankles while you dunked your upper body in the water to reach down to the bung?

That was fun. Thought I'd share.... :whistle: :silly: B)

Mistake I made fishing yesterday was taking the wrong turn going past Peel on the way to the bar, then when I got to the end of spitfire channel ending up in the sand with baby waves breaking around me. Boy was it a dark morning Sunday. Sand is good for the prop though, keeps that polished look there. :)

Next time I plan more ahead and have the route plotted on my GPS then the autopilot can do all the work.

Don't feel too bad Julian. I'm assuming it was your first time driving towards that bar .......... :whistle: :P

Hey Wayne, remember that time last Sunday when we got out to Cape Moreton and you realised you forgot to screw the bung in properly after noticing all the water we had taken on board?

Then I had to hold your ankles while you dunked your upper body in the water to reach down to the bung?

That was fun. Thought I'd share.... :whistle: :silly: B)

Geez, lucky you reminded him about his distant past .......... :woohoo:

As I said earlier, SOMETIMES we learn. ;)

I've firgitten the the plugs 3 times over the course of 26 years of boating.

It was refreshing way to start the morning.

Wayne, despite it being your fault, I think you need to look up the word 'deckhand' in a dictionary and re-familiarise yourself with their duties/responsibilities ......... ;)

I'm glad none of you saw me in action the first and second time we took Dad's $70k 21ft fibreglass boat out down here. The first time as I was idling towards the trailer the wind suddenly changed our angle which led to an 'interesting' (read 'panicked' .....) reaction from me resulting in a rod going overboard and the second time we had battery issues and had to jumpstart it (actually, we had to do that the first time too - although I take no blame for this ...) and I was a little hasty putting the boat in reverse and driving it off the trailer (ie. jumper leads were still connected ...).

Boating can certainly be 'fun'!!!!!!

Max

I borrowed the son-in-law's 4.5m 40hp on Saturday. Parked it in the front yard just as the storm came through. The boat cover used to have a small tear which the wind proceeded to make a large tear and virtually destroy the tarp. Not a good start. Went for a fish down the mouth of the river on Sunday with no luck due to the other thousand boats with the same idea turning the wall near Luggage Point into a washing machine. After doing a few drifts out on the flats I gave it away. There were a few boats anchored up at the sunken wall on the way back to the ramp. I motored over giving them a wide berth. Not having been there for a while I forgot how far the wall comes out. Needless to say the prop now has a large chunk taken out of it. Ouch this was an expensive borrow. :(

It always happens when you borrow stuff.

I required a trolley jack and asked my neighbour if he had one for a 2 minute job.

He gave me this very heavy duty one he had not used for years. I jacked the boat up and it blew an oil seal on the jack!

Obviously it had perished but I could give it back like that.. 2 weeks later I found the part after many many phone calls and pick it up and replaced it.

Although old, the jack was a good quality one an I couldn't replace it with a cheap replacement. In hind sight

I could have gone to Supercheap and picked up a cheapie for $70 buck without any hassels and had my own.

For the last 40 years the wife and kids have called me captain catastrophe.

Cheers

Ray

....and some you've shared on here are still some of the best 'reports' I can remember. Especially when you had to re-enter the house through the doggy door :lol::lol::lol:

I'm no stranger to reporting stupidity either, Steve. Well done :P:lol:

Afew weeks ago I took my old man out crabbing for his bday, borrowed the neighbours boat that he bought of one of his dodgy mates, filled it with fuel went and did the pots and let them soak overnight, back again first thing sparrow fart to pick them up, turns out some one wanted them more than I did, after a bit of mucking around looking for the lost pots the engine dies ....that's odd plenty of fuel left in it must be the breather shut, nope were dead in the water out of fuel ! Was a long quiet row back to the ramp I tell ya !

• 1 year later...

We all make mistakes

ive been a boat owner for 9 months now 

first time I used it was the first time I'd towed anything

poor jockey wheel....didn't stand a chance 

worst part was the Mrs asked me what that noise was...

add to that the time I forgot the keys and didn't realise till after I parked the car

oh and I forgot to disconnect my batteries last week and they sucked each other dry.. Started them on Friday at lunchtime

lauched Saturday at 430am..pushed off....go to start and nothing

found out paddling a 5.3 m tinnie is not any easy task

Hahaha if you haven't driven off with the jockey wheel down before then you have never owned a boat! 

To add to this, 3 times now I have forgotten to put the latch down that locks the trailer onto the tow ball and driven to the ramp and back ;).  Not once, but 3 times... Once may or may not have been up to Hervey Bay with a trailer relying on gravity to keep it attached to the car over the bumps of the Bruce. And a safety chain of course. Very lucky. Refer to title of this thread.

I seem to forget about it when I take the trailer off the car and leave the latch in the unlocked position, and forget to lock it in place when hitching the boat up again. Never again, until next time. 

Archived