Spiny freshwater crayfish vid

Jackzfishin

Hey guys

Went down to a small creek only a few kms from my place to catch some spiny freshwater crays, it was a fairly good session, the first Cray was caught in the first 15 mins, not a bad start

so i put the nets back in and in the next couple of hours i got another 2 medium sized crays and my pb Cray, I measured his carapace and it was 15cm, not bad I thought. so i was pretty happy with that, i was just using wire based crab pots, first time i had ever used them and they were great, only coz my yabby nets rip on snags and that’s annoying, anyway here’s a video I made while I was down there, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO9aXVyRc0c

It goes for about 5mins and it shows me catching them, hope u enjoy, cheers

I like that you caught and released them, those things look ancient(and tough as boots). Are they a protected species in Victoria?

I remember setting shrimp traps down in Murwillumbah years ago, one kept catching this same Lamington Spiny cray. I swear this thing was like fifty years old and had probably lived in the same hole and stretch of the stream forever.

Nah mate not protected, but I still like to put mine back just so they can still be there in the future.

/>http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/fishing-and-hunting/recreational-fishing/catch-limits-and-closed-seasons/crustaceans/spiny-freshwater-crayfish-all-species-other-than-glenelg-spiny-freshwater-crayfish

If anyone want to know the rules and regulations here's a link that might help

Common Name/s: Spiny freshwater crayfish (all species other than Glenelg spiny freshwater crayfish and Murray spiny freshwater crayfish)

Minimum legal size: 9 cm carapace length

Bag/possession limit: 5 (of which no more than 1 crayfish may exceed 12 cm in carapace length)

E.kershawi the Gippsland spiny crayfish is the only species that grows to legal size, 9cm carapace is 30 plus years old. Good to see you put them back Jack :)

Archived