chicken gut as bait?

curranboy99

Hello. I have a couple questions about using chicken gut as bait for bream.

1. does this bait work and how would I rig it

2. how much does this bait stink, I read that after an hour in the sun it turns foul and gets the gagging reflex going (not that I would leave any of my baits in the sun)

3. is it better than prawns or flesh baits

I am far from an expert mate, but I use chicken breast off cuts that are scraps from when the missus prepares chicken breast for tea. I've asked her to cut them into thin strips about 6cm long x 1cm wide with the fat left on as bream love it. I freeze them in small snap locks and just take one or two packs with us when we go fishing for bream.

We have found that they are very keen on it most of the time....but there are always the odd day they won't seem to touch it and they prefer peeled prawns or something else.

Best thing about it is that it doesn't stink when it's in the sun warming up....but a word of warning....wash your hands first if you want to start snacking as there is a lot of bacteria in chicken that becomes a lot more harmful when it warms up.

Also is a lot more pleasant to put on a hook than chicken gut or mullet gut etc.

But that's just my opinion.

Cheers

Rob

Used to be a chook abattoir in a side street off old cleveland road at Belmont.

They used to place all their guts etc in 44s at the gate. Trick was to turn up before 10am  before everything went off.

legs and necks for crab bait.and dog food.

Softs and cracked (eggs) for eating.

Cracked eggs for immediate eating/cooking and we used to rub a product called keepeg on the softs and that would preserve them for 6 months.

gizzards ( hearts,livers and stomachs) for bait.,and soup(Mates also made pate)Fried hearts are very tasty.

intestines for bait. Strip it out salt and freeze great bream bait and being salted very tough and withstands pickers.

We used to do a weekly run in the PMG truck and take it back to work and divvy it up but only in winter as the stuff in 44s went off too quickly in summer,

If you can get some intestines or giblets salt it down for really good bait. We used to use icecream tins ( Pre plastic) layer of guts about 1 inch thick then good handful of salt and continue till full and freeze till needed.

Cheers

Ray

Do not overlook salting down any excess bait left over from a trip.The salt really toughens it up.Just layer it with salt and place in fridge for a day pour the juice off and then freeze.

When I used to go camping for a week we used to break up frozen pilly blocks salt them down and just hang up in a sugar bag in a tree and they were good for a week with no refrigeration.

Cheers

Ray

• 2 months later...

Hey curranboy99, I have just started fishing the Pine River with my 12 year old son and have enjoyed your recent posts for the Pine region. We have been fishing at Bob Bell Park.

I have been tempted to try chicken breast scraps for bait and archer63 and Inspiredbyfishing's responses have definitely confirmed the idea. 

My biggest issue is going from getting a bite to actually snagging a fish! My "bite to catch" ratio is pretty frustrating :angry:... so any tips from the fishing community would be appreciated :)

The Pine seems to be full of fish but I'm yet to pull out any legal bream - plenty of 15-22 cm "catch and releases" though. 

I'm a late starter but have definitely caught the fishing bug!

3 minutes ago, PineRiverNoob said:

Hey curranboy99, I have just started fishing the Pine River with my 12 year old son and have enjoyed your recent posts for the Pine region. We have been fishing at Bob Bell Park.

I have been tempted to try chicken breast scraps for bait and archer63 and Inspiredbyfishing's responses have definitely confirmed the idea. 

My biggest issue is going from getting a bite to actually snagging a fish! My "bite to catch" ratio is pretty frustrating :angry:... so any tips from the fishing community would be appreciated :)

The Pine seems to be full of fish but I'm yet to pull out any legal bream - plenty of 15-22 cm "catch and releases" though. 

Unsure about your specific when it comes to fishing...but try down sizing the hook. or try a different rig to get the bait off the bottom a bit. if your sitting your bait on the bottom then chances are that pickers are just smashing your bait without a hookup

2 hours ago, PineRiverNoob said:

Thanks that's good to hear that other fishers are enjoying my posts. But for the bite to catch ratio you could try fishing fine wire,  razor sharp hooks like gamakatsu octopus in sz2 which tend to do a better job hooking fish rather than $2 cheapys which I found I miss a lot of bites on cheap hooks as well as trying when you get a bite to give the fish slack line and wait for the fish to run with the bait indicated by a strong yank in the rod and lift the rod firmly to set the hook. Doing these two things I'm positive you'll get a lot more hook ups and more legal fish. Hope this helps 

13 hours ago, Jun said:

hey,there.could you guys let me know what is the setting up in a little bit strong current cause i only attractive catfish.Share yours please if you dont mind.thanks .

Try fishing light lines and leaders (4lb - 6lb) and running a sz1 ball sinker straight onto your hook of choice and you should get better fish and less catfish. 

6 hours ago, curranboy99 said:

Try fishing light lines and leaders (4lb - 6lb) and running a sz1 ball sinker straight onto your hook of choice and you should get better fish and less catfish. 

Thanks mate,I will try next time.Have a good day.

11 hours ago, christophagus said:

Unsure about your specific when it comes to fishing...but try down sizing the hook. or try a different rig to get the bait off the bottom a bit. if your sitting your bait on the bottom then chances are that pickers are just smashing your bait without a hookup

Awesome, thanks for the advice christophagus. Between yours and curranboy99's advice, I'm sure I'll start converting more bites to catches! :)

7 hours ago, curranboy99 said:

Thanks that's good to hear that other fishers are enjoying my posts. But for the bite to catch ratio you could try fishing fine wire,  razor sharp hooks like gamakatsu octopus in sz2 which tend to do a better job hooking fish rather than $2 cheapys which I found I miss a lot of bites on cheap hooks as well as trying when you get a bite to give the fish slack line and wait for the fish to run with the bait indicated by a strong yank in the rod and lift the rod firmly to set the hook. Doing these two things I'm positive you'll get a lot more hook ups and more legal fish. Hope this helps 

Thanks curranboy99! I love getting all this advice and hopefully it will help me...can't keep getting outfished by my son! :)

when using chicken or mullet gut for baits have some homebrand bran packets on hand. Put the guts into containers, plastic honey or peanut paste jars etc, pour in some bran and stir it well to coat the guts and sop up the moisture adding more bran as needed

Two things happen, A/ it removes most of the smell, B/ you now have bait that gives off it`s own berley trail.

if you make up a few batches each time you do it you can freeze what`s not required immediately.  

On ‎29‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 8:26 PM, Gad said:

when using chicken or mullet gut for baits have some homebrand bran packets on hand. Put the guts into containers, plastic honey or peanut paste jars etc, pour in some bran and stir it well to coat the guts and sop up the moisture adding more bran as needed

Two things happen, A/ it removes most of the smell, B/ you now have bait that gives off it`s own berley trail.

if you make up a few batches each time you do it you can freeze what`s not required immediately.  

Thanks Gad for the tips, much appreciated :) 

I have used Chicken thigh a lot,(before I was introduced to soft plastics:)) it stays on hook better then breast. I also add a finely chopped garlic clove and a can of tuna in spring water NOT Oil to the mix, make it the night before it all marinates, The Tuna sticks to the chicken and each cast the tuna creates a burley trail for you, The bream love this combo, I have also caught some good Flathead with it as well.

5 minutes ago, Omega 3 said:

I have used Chicken thigh a lot,(before I was introduced to soft plastics:)) it stays on hook better then breast. I also add a finely chopped garlic clove and a can of tuna in spring water NOT Oil to the mix, make it the night before it all marinates, The Tuna sticks to the chicken and each cast the tuna creates a burley trail for you, The bream love this combo, I have also caught some good Flathead with it as well.

I'm going to try this tomorrow! Thanks Omega 3!

1 hour ago, Omega 3 said:

Thanks @Omega 3 haven't tried chicken thigh as bait before but makes sense that it stays on the hook better than breast as its a tougher cut of meat i'll try using some of the extra ingredients suggested next time I get some chicken for bream.

Archived