Seq Suburbs Of Origin! Fishing Comp

The Mad Hughesy

Who would be up for a friendly Winter tournament? No entry fees and no prizes except for the bragging rights that come with the win which can be worth more than any prize when you can rub it in the face of your opposite team until next year’s comp! Here’s what im thinking…

SEQ Suburbs of Origin!

To keep it plain and simple, if you live North of the Brisbane river, you are a north sider (Team North)

If you live South of the Brisbane river, you’re a south sider (Team South)

It’s not about where you were born, just about where you live now

To somewhat mimic the NRL State of origin, we could hold this over three weekends, with each weekend being considered one “game” in a three game series. Five categories each weekend (bream, flathead, bass, tailor and snapper) Why these five species? Because regardless of how (boat, kayak or land) or where you fish, you will be able to target these species. To win the weekend in any one species, an angler from either Team North or Team South must catch the longest of that species for the weekend. To win the weekend, one team (North or South) must take out three of the five species for the weekend. Once the next weekend (or game) rolls around, the slate is cleaned.

For example, if the Team South have the longest bream, flatty and longest bass for one weekend, but Team North have the longest snapper and tailor…then Team South win for that weekend. Hope that makes sense

To keep it fair, the night before the weekend of fishing, a unique symbol will be released that must be pictured with the catch along with your team name (North or South) submissions can just be made online in the topic that I will create for each weekend of fishing. Each time a new longest species is caught, I will update the original post to let everyone know what Team is in front. The unique symbol will be as easy as writing or drawing on a piece of paper, which can be easily placed next to the fish. Fish where you want, just because you’re a Team North member doesn’t mean that you have to fish North of the Brisbane river and vice versa. All comp submissions must be loaded into the rounds topic (a new topic will be created for each round) by 7pm on the final day of the round!

And of course, to win the series and have your team crowned the SEQ Suburbs of Origin champions, you must win 2 of the three weekends. Then maybe afterwards we can all get together and have a big feed or something along those lines.

The more anglers involved the better! This comp isn’t designed to push us against each other, but to just get some friendly banter going amongst this awesome community that we have going here on AFO.

Who is keen? We can decide on what weekend suit most people best etc if there is enough interest in this. The beauty of having this spread out over three different weekends, is that if you are unable to fish one weekend, then you have two more weekends that you can fish on, so no complaining about not being able to enter! If anyone is keen, shoot me a message or reply in this topic as to what team you are fishing for and I will update the below list.

OFFICIAL DATES

Round One : 20th - 22nd of May

Round Two : 17th - 19th of June

Round Three : TBC

Team North                                                                                    Team South

christophagus                                                                                 Angus

samsteele115                                                                                 kmcrosby78

bersim                                                                                              ellicat

Doyley                                                                                              Old Scaley

STKE                                                                                                  lanks

basshunter1987                                                                             tugger

Dinodadog                                                                                       K-Lub

timtam_                                                                                           Damien2Rad

Do$tylz

benno573

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northside. Great idea! Was thinking if the weather is good I wouldnt want to target estuarine species as I would want to make the most of the bay in good weather, so having snapper in there is a great idea. Could do a snapper session in the morning and could always venture out into the bay and do my own thing after that if I desire. Sounds good!

I like this idea.

I would also include bass just as we have so many impoundment fans it would include a lot more of the site.

Thoughts?

If you need a tie breaker so there will always be a dominant team sometihng seasonable (squid, whiting, tuna, tailor, jack etc).

Thoughts?

I would be in for sure just for the fun of it.

Angus

Sounds like a lot of fun so hopefully it will be at pretty quiet time of the year work wise.  I'm from the Northside so might as well sign me up!  As Sam suggested it would be nice to target snapper in the reef early on and then just head out in the bay for a tuna session or something similar.

Great idea Chris, count me in for Southside. Also great call on adding bass and tailor Angus. Regarding the query about where you can fish - it's just like the footy, you can enter enemy territory and win on their home 'soil'.  Great concept, simple, will get people out fishing and will increase banter on here which is always good.

12 hours ago, Cmaltby said:

Do you have to fish your side of the river or any? I think if you're north you should only be able to fish north etc. @samsteele115

I would suggest anywhere. It is where the angler is from not fishing... Just like, as in your own example, the rugby origin...

When is this kicking off?

1 hour ago, Angus said:

I would suggest anywhere. It is where the angler is from not fishing... Just like, as in your own example, the rugby origin...

When is this kicking off?

depends when everyone is keen? We could have it for the weeks leading up to game one of the actual origin series (1st of June)? or we could wait for winter to officially arrive and have the first weekend of fishing on the 3rd, 4th and 5th of June...

just comes down to what suits people the best

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

Depending on when it is happening, I will put my hand up for the Southside Sharks, but with @ellicat and @kmcrosby already on the team, I might be carrying the oranges. Northside Numpties looks like a strong team already.

We might need to do some recruiting if you are counting on myself and Brian to carry the team ...... ;) Might need @lanks, @rayke1938 and a few others to help us ...... :)

1 hour ago, christophagus said:

depends when everyone is keen? We could have it for the weeks leading up to game one of the actual origin series (1st of June)? or we could wait for winter to officially arrive and have the first weekend of fishing on the 3rd, 4th and 5th of June...

just comes down to what suits people the best

Either option sounds good.

12 minutes ago, STKE said:

Do we have to compete all 3 weekends. Might be a bit tricky.

But starting next weekend would be a good idea as we have two long weekends in a row.

Sign me up for the Northsiders so I can pen it into the Calendar. 

nah, no need to compete every weekend. Im also thinking we spread it out over time, not consecutive weekends. that way we can have good tides for each weekend.

What about the first weekend dates as the 20th, 21st & 22nd of May? High tides are in the morning, plus there is a full moon on the 22nd.

3 hours ago, christophagus said:

nah, no need to compete every weekend. Im also thinking we spread it out over time, not consecutive weekends. that way we can have good tides for each weekend.

What about the first weekend dates as the 20th, 21st & 22nd of May? High tides are in the morning, plus there is a full moon on the 22nd.

Sound logic there Chris. Just had a look at the weekends after that and the following have morning high tides and are around the new or full moons:

3-5 June - New moon on the 5th

17-19 June - Full moon on the 20th

1-3 July - New moon on the 4th

15-17 July - Full moon on the 20th

Will let yourself and others choose which ones are most preferable.

Archived