Alternatives for rod rollers and reel maintenance

Gazza

I bought an el cheapo saratoga fully rollered so called game rod this looks good :)

took it out once and all the rollers seized (corrosion)

:angry:

I was going to replace all the guides untill I thought what if the blank etc is as crappy as the guides so plan 2 clean up the guides and lube them to protect them with something :huh:

Started to think of away to protect them from corrosion

wd 40 nah prob get on the line

lanotec same deal and will only catch Kiwi's

thought of all the comercial lubes etc :pinch:

Then a thought TUNA oil it should protect and if it does get on the line who cares burley line :woohoo:

after abit of thought you could use it on level wind gears ,bail arm rollers etc

I've never read or heard of anyone trying it

but I have never seen a rusty Tuna :P

I 'm going to give it ago

if any one has done so how did it go ???

Gaz

Tuna oil has salt in it tho. And it is really thick and when left out it solidifys. Tuna oil is a natural oil not a synthetic oil so it would offer no corrosion resistence or protection.

You can buy special oil for fishing gear. I have some from an Abu Garcia reel and it works well on the reels, so it should be good for rollers. I'm sure you could buy it from any tackle store.

Cowfish13 wrote:

Tuna oil has salt in it tho. And it is really thick and when left out it solidifys. Tuna oil is a natural oil not a synthetic oil so it would offer no corrosion resistence or protection.

You can buy special oil for fishing gear. I have some from an Abu Garcia reel and it works well on the reels, so it should be good for rollers. I'm sure you could buy it from any tackle store.

NEver a truer word spoken

gaz i would recommend using the wd-40 as i remember reading that some people soaking their baits in the stuff to make it more tougher(picker resistant) and apparently it had no effect on the Fish.

Not that i'm recommending doing that bait soaking thing but i don't think a little bit on you line would have much of an effect on your catch rates. And it's corrosion resistant!

One question for rust proofing cars what did they use in the past :woohoo: oh dear fish oil :P

Arhhhh must have been fish from fresh water bass oil maybe :P

wd 40 was based on fish oil and it was their 40th blend that came up with WD40 logo

water dispersant ie WD 40 th aptempt and the name stuk

Oils aint oil's Sol

Finall word how many rusty fish do you see

Gaz

Archived