Stinger hooks when using SP's

bootyinblue

Did anyone else see AFC on saturday and one of the guys had a soft plastic rigged with a stinger hook?

Is this a popular rig? Does anyone use it? I was just thinking about all the plastics I have retrieved with the tails missing and you can see the size of the scalloped edges where the teeth have gone through it and they look like they come from a decent fish.

Any thoughts?

I've seen pictures in magazines with longer plastics done like that with a single hook stinger. A variation could be a small owner treble tied to the main jig hook with a length of leader material. leave enough play for the lure to still wiggle around. Just bury one of the hooks on the treble in the plastic and leave the other two exposed. Would work on a few styles, flick baits, worms, anything without a free flowing tail. Wouldn't work so well on a wriggler or paddle tailed squidgy fish.

bootyinblue wrote:

I was refering to a single smaller hook which drops from the main hook and is attached via some mono. Sits and floats around where the SP tail would be wagging and should assist with more hook ups.... well in theory anyway!

Yeah, that's the idea I've read about. I reckon an owner treble same size as one off an sx40 would be even more deadly though.

Gakatsu makes the Twinex Rig, they work in the same way with a small amount of line with an eyelet which you put over the jig head hook then at the end of the line(about 1-2cm long) then it has a treble, its not a normal treble as 1 of the 3 hooks in the treble is much smaller than the other 2, it is used to put into the plastic to keep it in place. The other 2 sit on top of the soft plastic for when the fish bites.

I wouldn't use them for Bass or Flathead or Barramundi because they swallow the whole lure, the twinex hooks would get caught in their stomach(that you can see when you open their mouths). They cost aroudn 8$ for 3 I think.

Archived