Solo Bay Fish 2/11/2017

Cobiaaddict

Evening all.

Had some time off during the week and managed to get out for a fish on thursday chasing one of my favourite bay reef fish and that being the The Grass Sweetlip. About 10yrs ago i spent hundreds of hours exploring certain parts of the bay trying to crack them . Since getting the SURTEES i have been busting to have a crack . I left Spinnaker sound around 7am thursday morning only to be met with a solid SSW wind about 12-15kn . Not what i was hoping for but the boat handled it very well.  Got out to my spot amd started sounding until i found a few shows in 20m water . 

Now i had not fished this area in at least 8 years so i was a little rusty on technique and feel on pinning a good sweety as they are such a finicky fish too hook and stop on light gear.  Started off on 20lb O/head outfit and could not get a bite drifting a floating a pilly on 3ball .So i pulled out what i would call "light" gear being 15lb mono  and motored up to start my 4th drift.  It payed off instantly nailing a few solid fish each drift . 3 x Grassy sweet lip at 55cm 50cm and 47cm . Also managed a 42cm squire and 42cm and 37cm moses perch making the esky look nice to feed the fam and grandparents . Only took a shot of the fish in the esky. 

Cheers Josh  <><

20171102_123728.jpg

I use tru-turns rigged as a 2 gang with a swivel between in 5/0 when fishing a WA pilchard and 6/0 or 7/0 when using whole diver whiting. Sinker sizes vary from a 000 to a 5 ball pending on depth,current and drift speed and then on occassions i run a single 7/0 or 9/0 gamakatsu octopus because the grassy's will only take a half cut WA pilchard or whiting. . I just keep changing tactics after 3-4 drifts until one takes a bait.  I reckon they are harder than big snapper to target sucessfully in the bay.

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Thats solid mate. A great haul for the bay. If you ever need a decky.... :)

They are solid Moses perch mate. 

Also any tips on what the bottom looks like?

So coffee rock and gravel are my main places to start looking.  Water depth is generally anything from 5m-25m .

Some of these areas of reefy rubble are no bigger than say a wheelie bin or small car. Then from there its just a matter of sounding and exploring and putting huge amounts of time.  

Archived