Old Scaley

Took a couple of non-AFOers for a fish at the port today. One guy had never fished there before and was keen for a Jew or a Threadfin so I put the castnet in and planned to arrive a couple of hours before high tide,

I was a bit surprised to see the number of trailers in the car park on a Wednesday and later we  saw a small flotilla anchored in the boat passage opposite the tug station. Could not work out why they were there until the water police dropped by for a safety check. I asked if they knew why all those boats there and the nice police woman told me they had been there every day catching large numbers of a fish that she didn’t recognise, but she did have a photo of what we quickly identified as River perch, so the annual run must be on. 

Anyway, we got a heap of good sized herring and a few gar in the net so headed to the Jewie/Threadie spot on the top of the tide and deployed some preprepared burley and a few livies. No action at all for an hour so moved on to chase the squire. The fish weren’t plentiful but the quality was good. I think it will be a good winter in that area.

356685E2-890C-4A14-9764-B6F1E0AC54B4.jpeg

15 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Good to see a successful session. What length was the thong ?

Bahahaha Mr @ellicat, you know how cr@p my photography skills are. The other guys took a few photos so if they tell a better story I will put them up once I get them. The snaps were high 30s, the flattie was 46 and the cod were 48 and 55 (and the bigger one was really fat). 

Awesome river session and we noticed the boats on Tuesday morning as we came back to our tug base i have never seen that many boats there before and I have worked there for over 15yrs and before that hardly anyone fished the river like they do now

Archived