Floundering And Boat Import

Abbottfamily

Hi there

we are moving over from nz and bringing our 1980 costa messa boat. Does anyone know what the process is or where I go for information to get the boat and trailer registered for road use in Queensland after its arrival?

We are big on floundering our preferred method being drag than set net.  What spots closest to surfers paradise can you drag net ?

thankyou

12 hours ago, Abbottfamily said:

Hi there

we are moving over from nz and bringing our 1980 costa messa boat. Does anyone know what the process is or where I go for information to get the boat and trailer registered for road use in Queensland after its arrival?

We are big on floundering our preferred method being drag than set net.  What spots closest to surfers paradise can you drag net ?

thankyou

Hey Abottfamily.

Welcome to the forum.

It should be easy enough to register your boat. I'm pretty sure you will need to get a road worthy cert for before they will register the trailer though. Normally no real problems it will just need to comply with lights and not be falling apart or over weight etc.

Now to floundering. hmm. I don't think you will have much love up here with that. We do get a few flat fish but they are pretty hit and miss. Netting is pretty much illegal in QLD except for cast nets and bait nets. Even these methods are banned in NSW.

There are plenty of line fishing options, especially on the gold coast.

Good luck and ask lot of questions and put up lots of photos of your boat and fish 🙂

Unless someone is paying to freight your boat over the ditch it may be more economical to sell your boat in NZ and purchase a replacement over here.

You will have to have boat and trailer steam cleaned before import and inspected by customs on arrival and may even have to have it cleaned again on arrival dependent on customs inspection.

Ensure that your trailer is compliant with QLD regulations.

I am uncertain of the size of your outfit but if the outfit is over 750kg the trailer will have to be braked and the breaking system compliant with Queensland regulations

As trailer is imported it will also have to be inspected by TMR ( Department of Main Roads)

No netting allowed in Australia but lots of other species available in the Broadwater and Jumpinpin area. ( Local calm waterways in Gold coast ) and on the day if conditions are good you can sneak out over the southport seaway to target a bigger range of species .

Cheers

Ray

3 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

Unless someone is paying to freight your boat over the ditch it may be more economical to sell your boat in NZ and purchase a replacement over here.

You will have to have boat and trailer steam cleaned before import and inspected by customs on arrival and may even have to have it cleaned again on arrival dependent on customs inspection.

Ensure that your trailer is compliant with QLD regulations.

I am uncertain of the size of your outfit but if the outfit is over 750kg the trailer will have to be braked and the breaking system compliant with Queensland regulations

As trailer is imported it will also have to be inspected by TMR ( Department of Main Roads)

No netting allowed in Australia but lots of other species available in the Broadwater and Jumpinpin area. ( Local calm waterways in Gold coast ) and on the day if conditions are good you can sneak out over the southport seaway to target a bigger range of species .

Cheers

Ray

Thanks we have all the cleaning etc sorted as part of the quote Boat is def coming.

will leave nets behind as if no use not worth it.  

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Hey Abottfamily.

Welcome to the forum.

It should be easy enough to register your boat. I'm pretty sure you will need to get a road worthy cert for before they will register the trailer though. Normally no real problems it will just need to comply with lights and not be falling apart or over weight etc.

Now to floundering. hmm. I don't think you will have much love up here with that. We do get a few flat fish but they are pretty hit and miss. Netting is pretty much illegal in QLD except for cast nets and bait nets. Even these methods are banned in NSW.

There are plenty of line fishing options, especially on the gold coast.

Good luck and ask lot of questions and put up lots of photos of your boat and fish 🙂

Thanks for that here in nz boat only has to be registered if it has a name. Trailer has just passed Warren of fitness (nz version of rwc) 

will leave flounder nets behind.

Archived