Shark Fishing Last Friday

jhedrick

Hey guys, 

I'm a bit late on my post but last Friday I ended up going for a little shark fish. I have to say Special thanks to christophagus for the maps and everyone for the advice. 

As everyone was probably aware last Friday was 36 degrees so a good excuse to head out and have some breeze across the face. I just knocked off night shift and basically picked up my boat and headed out to pinkenba. I had to drop the girl off at work first and was probably in the water around 8am. 

I had about 5 hours to high tide so I cracked a breakfast beer and slowly plotted up channel to the second last beacon before the river meets the bay. 

I loaded up my eel and dropped off in the channel and putted my way to safer grounds to anchor up. Needless to say I fell asleep and heard this annoying sound of clicking. Not really all with it I let the noise annoy me for about another 50 meters plus of line until I finally twigged that I had caught something. 

I looked at my watch and I had only been there for about 10 minutes. I fought the little critter for about another 10 minutes until I had him at the boat and struggled to get him in. I didn't have a rope gaffe or anything ready lol. 

Anyway I got him on board bled him out and gutted him. 105cm weighing in at 8.1kg it was the perfect size for me and the freezer. 

And just like that my day on the water was over just about as soon as it began. I had a troll and a flick around but didn't catch anything too special. 

Sorry about the poor quality video. It was just a telegram video message to a friend. 

Thanks everyone for the help 

20181027_190746.jpg

That's awesome mate!! well done. Always such a great feeling when you learn about targeting a new species, make a plan for it and it pays off! 

also, just be careful when you pick them up by the tail, the sharks under 1.5m have a great ability to double back on themselves and give you a nasty bite. the smaller they are, the more likely they are to do that. You can slide you hand under their belly just behind their pec fins. or you can pin them from on top on their head...pics below to explain

DB9B2272-1CDC-466E-9392-C9346F8E701A.jpeg.6973e523ec2df42861aa3e30ebed3020.jpeg6DE05E2C-E663-4CEC-A944-B626BE44A2E4.thumb.jpeg.a58db751dde55fb8c5388abc6de9aad9.jpeg

10 hours ago, christophagus said:

That's awesome mate!! well done. Always such a great feeling when you learn about targeting a new species, make a plan for it and it pays off! 

also, just be careful when you pick them up by the tail, the sharks under 1.5m have a great ability to double back on themselves and give you a nasty bite. the smaller they are, the more likely they are to do that. You can slide you hand under their belly just behind their pec fins. or you can pin them from on top on their head...pics below to explain

DB9B2272-1CDC-466E-9392-C9346F8E701A.jpeg.6973e523ec2df42861aa3e30ebed3020.jpeg6DE05E2C-E663-4CEC-A944-B626BE44A2E4.thumb.jpeg.a58db751dde55fb8c5388abc6de9aad9.jpeg

Good tips there @christophagus but you forgot to explain to him how wearing the camera on one's head protects him from a shark ......... 🙂 (sorry, it's been a long week and I put too much vodka into my espresso martini ........ 🙂).

Well done on a successful shark mission @jhedrick

Also it's my first bully that I've targeted and it's the biggest. I've always thrown back the little ones I've caught. Have also caught a massive port Jackson shark before. That was such an amazing shark but threw him back because he was too cool to kill. I need to figure out how to get the hook out without getting them in the boat so I can just go for fun. Unless someone wants a free shark next time I go out 

Archived